Oh hell....

• 26 replies
  • 46 subscribers

My wife received a diagnosis of stage 2 breast cancer yesterday.

She is less than 50, and has had the diagnosis at the same age her mother did. We have been told they will operate in less than 4 weeks, with radiotherapy on / near christmas. I'm quietly freaking over all this, added to which we have a LAC in the house who is a full time job on a good day, and I have no idea how we will cope.

I have no idea how I will cope - would be the more honest statement. We've talked last night and have a plan dealing with the practicality of the op, and the recovery (she's going to have a few months off - which she said was the worst excuse for time off) but dealing with everything else seems wholly overwhelming.

• Good luck tomorrow- stay strong! 

• Thanks

It was a pretty horrible day - the drive was nerve wracking, as every time i went round a corner she gasped in pain, and when we got to the ward they just shooed me off - I didn't get to settle her down or anything.

It took longer that everyone thought - we were told 90 mins but ended up being closer to 3 hours, but I did get to bring her back home the same evening.

We are now in post op world, which is a positive step. Just got to wait for the analysis to come back to make sure they got it all.

Fingers crossed its going ok for everyone else.

• Hope you are all going ok.

We have been told our post op appointment is Wednesday, so we are hoping to hear some good news in terms of what they took out. 

• Best of luck with the results.

We had mixed news, it was good in that they had clear margins and that all three foci were related to one tumour. Also that it was a common-ish type 'lobular' rather than ductal so easier to decide what to do next. Unfortunately, there was some tumour in one lymph node and a couple more had small bits of tumour cells - although there were 6 more lymph nodes clear. 

This means on one hand they might of got everything, but also means it  if it got to one node it might have spread further as no way of knowing. They've sent a sample for a further test 'oncotype dx' to see if any point in chemo, but hormone therapy and radiation for sure. Really nervous of errors and delays 

My positivity is waning as the reality sinks and whether anything approximating a normal life will ever return, even in best case. I shake thinking of the worse outcome. Finding it hard to be the rock. 

I guess it may improve when we know what the therapy will be.

One piece of advice - I just kept focusing of the fact that whatever they found in what they took out is gone and in the bin. There's a good chance they have got everything and the next step is precautionary to make sure. 

Good luck!

• Sorry to hear about that - It must be hard at that point. 

We had better news than we had hoped - we had clear margins, clear nodes and an all clear - but we have to wait for a test on a receptor called HER2 as they didn't get enough to test on the initial appointment.

Does not change the outcome, just determines what preventative path we have to take. Hopeful the test comes back negative so we can just do the radiotherapy.

All appendages crossed for you.

• Quick update - our final test for HER2 came back as a negative, so we are now waiting for a CT scan and a plan of radiotherapy. Tamoxifen (?) is being prescribed, and genetic testing will occur post therapy.

All in all, the best outcome we could have hoped for. Hope everyone has a happy christmas.