Just starting

• 12 replies
  • 47 subscribers

Hello carers. I’m reaching out because we are just at the starting gate and it already feels like we’ve walked a long way. Only 9 days ago my husband had a “mild” stroke and we have received good care from the NHS teams and our 2 daughters. I think I’m weary now because as well as helping him overcome the shock - and fright - of the stroke and it’s effects, I have been preparing for the next stage. Tomorrow I will be contacting our urology dept hoping for the urgent appt as it was found he has prostrate cancer and we know it isn’t in it’s early stages.  We are going in the right direction, but I guess I don’t find it easy at present. Our anxiety levels are up and I’m putting quite a lot of energy into pretending they aren’t. We are open to friends about the stroke but of course it’s too early to disclose about the cancer, and although my husband does understand, he is dealing with it by focussing on issues re the stroke… which has probably been the best way up to now. I just wanted to be able to tell someone out there that we aren’t finding it easy. 
We do know there are many positives for us and it’s good to hear them. But I’m not good at dumping the feelings of confusion and worrying that I haven’t managed to deal with all I had intended to deal with by the end of each day. We are blessed with a good relationship and I guess I have to learn how to trust that I will find a way through this. Thankfully I don’t feel angry or even sorry for us …. Maybe just sad, tired and a somewhat bewildered that our lives have changed so dramatically in such a short time. 
Thank you for being out there somewhere. Fan 

• Hello Fan

Sending lots of luck and positive thoughts to you and R. It is so hard isn’t it and I’m still a bit bewildered to be in this new land we now seem to live in! I’m so grateful for this community and have leant a lot in a small amount of time.

keep in touch xx

• If you start on treatment and are lucky enough to be at a centre with a Maggies - I’d encourage you to use them if you need someone to talk to outside family/ friends.  When i was taking mum for treatment, i used to wait in there (no visitors /carers allowed in the Oncology centre during COVID times), they were so kind, most had experience of cancer or caring for someone with cancer so understood what mum and the family were going through.   I did try the Macmillan team over the phone, but just kept crying, so I hung up. Not so easy to hang up in person and talking to a stranger was strangely easier - less of a need for a brave face that you might put on with family etc.

Good luck and take care.