Caring for my dad

• 3 replies
  • 47 subscribers

Hi, I'm my dad's full time carer who was diagnosed with terminal bowel cancer last August.

To me this was the biggest shock of my life so far..a man who never abused his body, never in his life smoked and lived a very healthy lifestyle until this.

Only now nearly 12 months on am I finding it the toughest it's been yet, I previously had my own business working non stop 9-5 aswell as being a single parent to 4 children, how things are now to back then....back then was easy! ..right now I don't know what to expect from one day to the next, my mum is finding each day more difficultthan the last and each day for me I feel like I'm loosing a little more of my dad as the days go by, we've  had a rollercoaster of events since dad's diagnosis,  many hospital visits ...highs and lows, I've even jumped from an aeroplane having a fear of heights to raise money to give people a fighting chance in this horrid disease... what I've learned so far is that cancer comes with no rules, it can break you when you least expect it to and nothing should be unexpected, there will be days when u feel you can't do the next day....days when you have to silence yourself because the reaction you are receiving isn't the reaction of your loved one...this is the reaction of cancer ..there will be days when your praised for doing something right yet frowned upon for doing it wrong the next day even if it was done the same as the day before.  This is the hardest journey of my life bur I'm not  about to quit on the man that raised me the very best he could...for if it wasn't for him...I wouldn't be me

• Hi in many ways sorry to read your story but in some ways too share a sense of pride in the amazing thing you are doing, coping with what most people would consider impossible - clearly your dad raised you very well.

Many of here of course will relate to everything you say, the sorts of issue you raise will mirror that of many people on here, some who will just see you words and think me too.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge

• Dear Neen

i could have written this. Especially the part about one day something is just right and the next day it’s all wrong. 
    ypu are not alone.
    take care

• It's the hardest chapter of my life  my dad was told 5 weeks ago that he literally only has 3 weeks left to live, I took him and My mum away to a cliff edge sea view stay for a few days and I saw a completely different side to him!! A happy..wanting to do and see more side of him that I haven't for some time,  he had a paddle in the sea with my mum, was so good to see them both smiling together and at the same time!, it was like having my old mum and dad back for a short while,

I take my hat off to anyone in my position right now, it's not easy..there are games when uou miss your own life and just bring you.. miss the more time spent with your kids...miss the career you worked so hard to build...but more than anything...you miss the person that once was before cancer!

All I can say is that although it may be a terminal diagnosis...that doesn't mean for one second you give up, yep it going to get tough to be that strength they need  in you..I can promise you that doing and being just that I'd so worth them hood happy...smiley...not a care in the world days that pop up from nowhere  xx