Struggling with emotions

• 22 replies
  • 60 subscribers

So my husband was diagnosed with rectal cancer 2 months ago. Obviously this came as a great shock as we’re only in our 40s and he’s very fit and doesn’t smoke. Initially  the doctor told us not to worry as it couldn’t be cancer. After a first few weeks in shock and crying we’ve decided to stay positive. He’s had his first surgery and we’re starting radiochemo for 5 weeks this week. I thought I was handling everything until there was an incident at work. Something totally not my fault but I simply couldn’t handle it and my actions made the situation worse and I’ve upset a few work colleagues. Work have been great and I’m taking a bit of time out. But I simply can’t stop crying. I’m totally beside myself. It’s like I’ve completely over reacted but I can’t seem to calm down. If that makes sense! Is this normal? Feel like I’m letting my husband down. I’ve got to stay strong as the next few months are going to be tough. 

• It’s hard isn’t it…hiding your emotions from the one person who your  would normally turn to for comfort and advice. My husband thinks I’m unsympathetic because I can’t show him how upset I am for fear of depressing him so just concentrate on organising and he thinks I don’t care!

• Oh A48. I feel your pain so acutely! That hiding your fear from your husband might be something you have to get very used to living with. My husband has been battling rectal cancer for 3.5 yrs now and I have to say spending about 90% in denial that he has an incurable illness as it’s spread. For me, it’s been vital to bolster and nurture his belief he’s going to beat it and live to a ripe old age! This maintaining of an illusion becomes increasingly hard as treatments fail to prevent spread but I sincerely hope your husbands cancer has been caught much sooner. Cancer can really prevent good honest marriages so do turn extensively to your support network and here of course and professional counselling if it can be afforded.

wishing you all luck xxx