Weeks? What does that mean?

• 3 replies
  • 45 subscribers

Hi everyone,

My husband was diagnosed with stage II Bowel cancer last February and since then has received more and more bad news. He is now stage IV and has been told life is now measured in weeks but I won’t know what that means! 

G has stopped all treatment and has recently had a colostomy op to help give him some quality of life. I am still working full time and am his sole career and want to the person to meet his every need but I don’t know how to be everything he needs.

How do I know when to give up work to care for him? He get to lonely when I’m working despite me now working from home all the time now. 

Has anyone got any experience or advice?

• Hello so sorry to hear your terrible news. It is good that you are able to continue working from home and support your husband, if finances permit, are you able to take a leave of absence from work, which would allow you to spend more time with your husband.

Was it your husbands or the Doctors decision for your husband to come off all meds ? 

sending you strength 

Sweat Linda You are my best memory, You are all of my best memories

• Hi ArthurD,

i am able to take the leave, I just don’t want to take it too early. Not only does it impact my job, it also is the only place I get some respite.

the decision to stop treatment was ultimately hubby’s but palliative care team had made that decision too

• Hi

i know human contact is the only cure for loneliness, but my Wife spent countless hours, playing ‘silly’ iPhone puzzle games, I say ‘silly’’ not out of disrespect, but I don’t think she would normally have spent hours in this way, but it obviously took her mind off her condition, so wondered if something similar may help your husband, phone games or a tablet, iPad etc. just a thought, it doesn’t suit everyone, but can be a great distraction.

take care of you both Heart

Sweat Linda You are my best memory, You are all of my best memories