Brain fog

• 3 replies
  • 45 subscribers

My husband is terminal and only has months left. We have a young family and obviously it's tough on us all. His pain management drugs are quite high and as a result he struggles to remember things and is easily upset by his confusion. I struggle as he will ask me something which makes no sense whatsoever but then expects a response. If I don't respond he gets tearful about loosing his mind.  He gets upset about the time and what day it is and sometimes I want to shout does it bloody matter every day is the same. He's housebound and in pain and whilst I don't want him to die, the quality of life he has and the way this is effecting him is so cruel. He was diagnosed during the first lockdown and so these past 2 years have been isolation and now that he can go out, he can't walk more than a couple of metres with a frame and his open wounds won't allow for sitting in a wheelchair. We feel so cheated. People say make memories, enjoy the little things...he can't move without pain so how can we. His mind is going...it all just feels so unfair. He's only 51.... sorry I just feel so sad and I put on a brave face for everyone else, but not tonight I guess. I just need to share how I feel. 

• No clever words for you, just to let you know I have heard you. Those pesky feeling always seem the deepest and darkest in the night time. Sometimes so much so that you wonder if you will ever get to sleep and if you do will you wake up in the morning.  But we do, and put on the game face and start all over again. It is exhausting, try to make time for you too!

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Oh I hear you. It is so so hard.  Lately we had one day that wasn’t too bad and I was almost giddy in comparison.  I hope you find some comfort.

• It is so difficult, I had all this with my husband, the confusion is terrible, it is almost like dementia as they can't understand things. I also had people saying make happy memories but when they don't understand anything anymore and can only get around with a frame or wheelchair and are so very ill it is impossible to make happy memories. I understand just how you feel. It is hard being their carer too, it is exhausting. My husband passed away in January. It's tough and I think of him every minute. Take care and stay strong. X