How will I know when my loved one is approaching end of life?

• 1 reply
  • 44 subscribers

Two weeks ago my partner was diagnosed with terminal lung cancer and given 6 months. His cancer is inoperable because of where it is within the lung. This cancer has caused paralysis of his vocal chords, so he is struggling to speak above a whisper. 

He had cancer of the stomach & oesophagus in 2014 & had his stomach removed so he is already very frail. 

We have an appointment with the oncologist in 10 days, when they will hopefully offer some treatment to make my partner comfortable. 

in the two weeks since diagnosis, my partner's condition has declined rapidly. He sleeps most of the day, has little or no energy or interest in anything. Fortunately he is not in pain, he says it is more like discomfort, but I am so frightened that he won't even make it to our next appointment. Am I over-analysing his condition or is this a sign that his time might be shorter than initially thought?

• HI @chi-wo.

Sorry to hear about your partner we can all recognize the pain this causes for you. Unfortunately even the doctors treating him would struggle to give any clue as to when someone will die. Certainly their are cases where someone does not survive to whatever their prognosis was but perhaps more common is for people to outlive it. 

It might help you to look through our booklet A guide for the end of life that you can download here.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge