Sleep

• 6 replies
  • 46 subscribers

My husband has cancer and has had just had a second round of immunotherapy. We aren't too hopeful of its success as the oncologist said that it looks like it's spreading after the first treatment but wanted to let him have another try before a scan. After this there are no further treatment options. Since the treatment he's been very tired and in lot's of pain. He's sleeping most of the day and has increased his pain medicine on the advice of the palliative care team. I'm scared that he's near the end and we aren't prepared. We have young children and I'm scared every day that I will wake to find him gone. No-one has been able to give us a time scale and if the immunotherapy works he could have years but right now I feel scared and alone. He's too tired to talk about my concerns and I could be completely wrong about why he's sleeping so much. Has anyone got any experience with how their loved one reacted to immunotherapy or what signs to look for if his life is coming to the end?

• Hi 

My husband has stage 4 NSCLC which is inoperable. He has had four cycles of combined chemotherapy and immunotherapy. He is exhausted most of the time after treatment and has had quite a bit of abdominal pain after each cycle. But his latest CT scan has shown some of the tumours have begun to shrink and he will now have immunotherapy only. Try to stay positive, its easy to say but it’s really hard to do. I know I find it difficult to not know “how long have we got?” and we just try to take each day as it comes but I can understand how much harder that will be when you have young children. 
    I have found this community invaluable when I’m struggling to deal with things. Everyone here is facing the uncertainty of cancer, either themselves or a loved one, so there is always a listening ear and a caring heart. 
    Grasan 

• Hi I hope someone comes along with advice and help as my husband is also sleeping a lot and hasn't even got treatment to be the cause. He is 52 and diagnosed on 3 dec with secondary liver, bone and lymph with the primary yet to be found. However he has been unable to go for biopsy today as not awake enough. I feel desperate and I understand the "how long" and "will he still be here" questions. I'm so sorry you're in this position and wish I could help more

• My husband has stage 4 cancer and has had his first round of chemo as an inpatient  - supposed to be 3 days which turned into 8 days. He's exhausted all the time and sleeps all the time. If he gets up for 2 hours during the day its a win for me. I dont have young children, mine are 23 and 25, but like you i am so scared. I dont have any advice for you but just wanted you to know you are not alone. I cry every day, as i'm sure you do aswell. sending you hugs xxx

• Thank you for your response. It's just good to hear that I'm not alone in this. He's sleeping downstairs as he can't manage the stairs and every morning I go into him and think that I will find the worst. It's so scary and nothing prepares you for it. This week I have gone part time as I was being his carer, being a mum and dealing with a demanding full time job. I could feel myself drowning and at least now I can do all of the roles and still find time for a bath!  The emotional rollercoaster is just beyond words and I've found that I can only take it one day at a time.

• I am so sorry you are in this position. I haven’t found a way to manage this rollercoaster and have no wise words but I do understand  your fear and pain and face the similar feelings myself. You are not alone . Send you light and love is all I can do x

• I completely agree, the rollercoaster effect is incredible, and not in a good way. I think it is partly fuelled by your criteria of what is "good" and "bad" and how they change as you go through the diagnosis and treatment journey. We were in that horrible period of waiting for scan results between diagnosis and treatment and we were so frustrated at the lack of progress. However, we had settled into a routine of "managing" each day and I actually became comfortable with it. I actually started to worry that when we got the appointment it was going to be bad news, along the lines of "there's nothing we can do" etc. I actually found myself relaxing at the weekends because I knew we weren't going to get any bad news for a few days at least. When there is a terminal diagnosis it is so difficult to remain positive and see anything good. I have no answers I'm afraid, just endless empathy for your situation Disappointed