Grief

• 3 replies
  • 47 subscribers

Hello again,

A few weeks ago I was suddenly trying to get my head around palliative care at home for my lovely Mum following a terminal diagnosis.She had a 4 year battle with bowel cancer that appeared to be responding to chemo/ anti body treatments.

Unfortunately the 6 weeks we were expecting turned into just under 3 weeks.

Our local hospice team were amazing and took so much pressure off us.Felt honoured to be there when she passed away .We even managed to share lovely chats and the odd cheeky  g and t !After a lifetime of healthy eating I was surprised when she requested sherry trifle.... for breakfast one day!!!

I know it's way too soon but I have to go back to work tomorrow .I'm a teacher so once I'm back there wont be time to think which maybe a good thing

Feel fairly numb and exhausted from all the appointments but I've been told that this is normal.

Wish me luck

x

• Hi Cakey, so sorry to hear about your mum. Life can be so cruel at times. Try to hold onto the good memories and who knows, sherry trifle for breakfast might not be so bad. 

I'm not surprised you feel exhausted and numb. This whole journey is draining both physically and emotionally. I understand that you can't take more time away from work but who knows it might help being in your usual routine. 

Not sure if you know but there is a Bereaved family and friends forum - Macmillan Online Community group on here if you feel that would help and  remember Macmillan Support Services are there too. It’s free to call 0808 808 0000. Most services are available 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week.

Sending you love and hugs. Good luck with your first day back. You can do this. 

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• You are so kind for replying.

I think you are right about having a normal routine again.

Thank you for the advice re the bereavement group.

I had to go to my Mums house today and without thinking I made two cups of teaHeart

As a family we are going to think of something to do for MacMillan in memory of Mum and all the brave souls who fight this battle.

Warmest wishes

Kate

• Cakey,  I'm so sorry for your loss . .Although your Mum passed away quicker than you expected , it really sounds like you made the most of the time you had and made some lovely memories.  

I'm sure you're emotionally exhausted and no matter when you went back to work it would be difficult.  I hope work and routine help you cope .