Partner palliative care.

• 9 replies
  • 47 subscribers

Hi all, first time on support community. My partner has just recently been told his oesophageal cancer has reoccurred and spread and is he is now palliative care. So difficult.

• Hi Toby21 - Sorry to hear about your partner. My partner has terminal lung cancer which has spread and awaiting results to see what the next steps are, what the change is to his original 12 month prognosis. He too has palliative care and all i can say, is that as tough as it is, they are our angels and really do look after you. Sending a virtual hug, as thing we all need them right now! Anna x

• Sorry to hear about your partner Toby, it is very difficult, my husband is also terminal, all we can do is be there for them, give them a hug, tell them how loved they are and tend to all their needs as much as we can. X

• Thank you for your reply. Just don't know what is ahead but know going to be really tough. Think still in a bit on denial. Only heard last week.

• Many thanks for your reply. Feel numb, just heard last week is palliative and likely to be months rather than years. He's only 47, so unfair.

• It knocks you for six doesn't it? My husband took early retirement on the 30th June and the same day he got results back saying he had cancer, a few weeks later we were told it was terminal and he only has months to live. We had made so many plans for his retirement too. Life can be so cruel. Take care x

• It sure does knock you for six. Your poor husband to be told cancer back on day of retirement. Chris has had oesophageal cancer for about 3 years and we have had such a difficult journey. When he first got diagnosed with the cancer he was told would need a heart op first as heart not strong enough for oesophageal surgery. He had the heart op then the throat op and ended up in a coma. We nearly lost him then but he pulled through. They kept checking him and couldn't see any signs of the cancer but turned out was reoccurring at original site from the outside so scope camera wasn't picking it up. Last year I was told he couldn't be scanned due to the metal wire holding his chest together from the heart surgery (managed to do a CT scan this month which showed cancer). Do feel if had scanned him last year when asked maybe would have been able to slow cancer down a bit. Covid has made accessing health even more difficult for him. 

Do you find your husband struggles with his mental health? Understandably Chris has been pretty quiet since told cancer stage 4. We don't live together so sometimes hard to comfort over video/telephone calls. x

• My heart is with you, martin is 47 and it's just so hard. We have been told 6 months is more realistic. Life really is so unfair. Here if you ever want to talk x

• That's so kind Anna. 47 is just way too young. Think will need to talk on here over next few months as whilst family care, other's in same position might understand best. x

• That is an horrendous time chris has gone through, I feel the same regarding my husband, he had stomach pains and bloating last november, the dr told him it was inflammation of the stomach and told him to buy some ibuprofen, if he had sent him for blood tests we would have found out then that he had cancer but it is too late now, he is stage 4 and terminal, as you say covid has a lot to answer for, everything stopped for covid and everyone else were pushed to the back of the queue. Yes my husband gets very depressed too. I guess it's to be expected. Take care and hope you get to see chris soon, must be difficult with phone and video calls rather than being with him. X