Time to leave

• 6 replies
  • 48 subscribers

So this will probably seem very selfish and I agree. Husband of 35 years diagnosed in August and very aggressive treatment until 20th Dec. Then huge physical issues from chemo and radiotherapy but gradually improving. Got clear scan result last week though intense monitoring for 5 years. Moods have been horrendous... I think I’ve said understandable but far from acceptable. Life has never been easy but the last 8 months have been dreadful emotionally and I know much worse from him. Bottom line is I think it’s best for both of us if I walk away. I have done everything I can but no communication other than nasty jibes cannot be a life. Has anyone come through this and managed to make it work? 

• Hi Dancer 2509 welcome to the forum and sorry that you have not had a response as yet.

First of all I do not think you are being selfish but you are expressing deep unhappiness and how you re feeling about things and that's ok.

Have you had or could you make a chance to sit down together and be honest and open with him and talk about how you are feeling and how this has left you feeling? You are equally important here as much as hubby so please don't forget that.

Do you feel that this is the end of the road for the relationship or could things improve now the worst is past for him. 

gail

Community Champion Badge

• HI dancer2509

I agree with what Granny59 has said.

Would even some time apart rather than drawing a line under things be worth trying first? Before the diagnosis, how was your relationship? You don't need to answer that as I feel as if I'm prying even by asking but think about it.

I've been married to  my husband for 25years and we've been together for 32 in total and trust me it's not been all plain sailing. We spent a couple of years apart about 15 years ago. 

At the end of the day, you need to make the decision that feels best for you. Make the right decision for the right reasons but don't rush into one you may live to regret.

Hang in there. 

love n hugs 

Wee Me  xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Thank you both. I doubt I’ll ever walk away but some days are just so difficult. I’m very conscious it is much worse for partner and keep that to the front of my mind. Will keep trying and focus on any good stuff. Keep looking forward thank you

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

This may be late advice, but have you thought about talking to a therapist?  They can help you sort out your feelings and decide the best course of action.  It sounds really important that you get some help and you are not facing this alone.

• I'm going through this sort of thing. The beautiful girl I fell in love with fifty years ago now seems to be in a permanent foul temper with me.

I have found that the trick I used when my father was dying works here as well, I force myself to think "The patient did this" rater than "My wife is angry with me." It stops things being personal.

• Thank you and I wish you well