Just bloody ragin!

• 8 replies
  • 43 subscribers

I know cancers a journey of emotions. I’m still at ragin! Ragin anybody has it, Ragin my sons Dad died at Christmas many years ago, when they were young and I was left to deal with the fall out, a lifetime of wondering what life for them would’ve been like had he survived? 

Ragin my Dad died on Halloween, his favourite time of year and I’m still trying to clear up his life, empty his home and cope with his loss after caring for him for 6yrs, watching the meds take their toll, watching him fade from a strong fit healthy man to a scared shadow of his former self  

Ragin that in September we found a lump on my husbands neck, I’d been saying for a while he didn’t look great and was losing weight, he started immunotherapy the day before my Dads funeral, he has stage 4 lung cancer that’s spread to 3 lymph nodes,, now I’m just broken, broken hearted, my dreams, our future hanging in the balance. 

His cancers the same journey as his brothers, we lost him in November after 7yrs of fighting, it’s so much worse to have watched the journey already, the journey you might now face.

My husbands like many is in total denial, he’s just fine, the treatments keeping him that way, no ones to know, his mum, sisters, family or friends. My family know but I’ve to guard this massive secret, I’ve not to talk ‘cancer’ I’ve not to be doom and gloom, he’s fine! 

Most days I’m fine, today I’m not. 

• Hi @chickpie,

I certainly hear you - and you are not alone. I have seen a number of cancer patients who want to keep their diagnosis secret often because they are "fine". Sometimes they will even deny the idea that someone cares for them - my wife sometimes said I am ok you need to look after out son and yourself - well you know it just so happens I love you and I am not going to simply abandon you in the hospital even if you are being looked after  -our son also loves you - we care even if we do not actually need to nurse you.

I did a living with less stress course. The best bit was learning to appreciate the good days, the next best bit was leaning how to cope with the bad days - rage on here all you like - we understand. Transcendental mediation though did not float my boat.

People often describe a cancer diagnosis like a tsunami - well done for letting a little of that pressure off.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge

• Thanks so much Steve. I’m thinking it’s all self preservation. If we’re all ‘fine’ the worlds just so. 
    I hope your family have many more good days and I’ll certainly have a look into the courses you mentioned. 

• You have every right to be raging.  I hate the word journey but your husband may be the one with the cancer diagnosis but this affects you too . This affects your life just as much and having to keep it secret must be so difficult. 

• Hi there, I agree the diagnosis is as hard for me. It’s the fear I think for me too, the fear of being left behind but it’s his decision so I need to respect it. 
    This isn’t easy at all. 

• Could you get counselling through Macmillan even online just so you can say all the things you need to say and can be honest . Sometimes the smiling and being positive is exhausting x

• Hiya, I’ve just no idea. I just joined yesterday, I don’t think very much is available with lockdown. Thanks 

• The sad thing is when you’ve done it before you have to climb a mountain to get out the other side and then you’re pushed back down to the bottom and told now do it again. It’s so mentally exhausting, I have been known to drive on my own in my car and scream loudly. It’s like a pressure cooker. There’s no real answer, talk on here where we understand a bit of what you are going through. It’s a hideous journey sending you love xx

• Thanks Jessie, guess some days are just harder then others. This is CTscan, consultant and treatment week for the Mr, always a tough time but I’ll just keep holding on in there, we need each other tHeart be strong Heart