New diagnosis Turmoil

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 1 reply
  • 45 subscribers

My partner had a diagnosis of cancer last week. We are in turmoil. He is obviously scared and its coming out in anger, Needless to say there was no time to read the helpful booklets about talking about cancer and I said something that got his back up. We  seem to be in a downward spiral, both very scared and upset. Does anyone know how I can rescue this situation , so I can support him

• Hi @herb,

First and foremost - you are both totally normal, a cancer diagnosis is a shock and you both have to process some very difficult emotions.

Just about all carers will say that we need to carve some time out for ourselves because until we learn to look after ourselves there is little we can do in the way of helping others.

You might like to start with Looking after someone with cancer especially the bits about coping with being a carer and also who can support me - well done for coming here that is a great start,

Many reflect that the time between diagnosis and getting a treatment plan is among the most difficult.

One of the tips on here was "When you do not know what to say - give a hug".

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge