Struggling with emotional abuse

• 2 replies
  • 42 subscribers

I'm sure I'm not the only one who is at the mercy of looking after a loved one with cancer who takes it out on those around them. How are you coping with it......especially with the way things are right now. It all seems completely hopeless and I can't see any light at the end of the tunnel.....my parent.....has been told they are curable, currently responding miraculously to the treatment although has to face an op to have last bit of cancer removed. They have terrible outbursts, get angry, unreasonable, blame.......I could go on. I am stuck....we live together....and have done a long time....I'm the carer. We have plenty of phone support, counselling etc.....but I know she is suffering. Walking away makes it worse. My husband comforts me when he is allowed to......the sleep I get it determined by the parent.....not much as there is always some need, crisis, or thing I haven't done. Can anyone suggest a coping strategy?

• Hi .

You are totally right that you are not the only one, coping with cancer is a bitch but taking it out on you is not working and you perhaps need to challenge your parent on their behaviour. You do need to get some good sleep - lack of that will help neither of you and when you break what would happen next?

How is your parent, if they can get them to do a bit more looking after themselves - and you too. Do post here whenever you need and don't forget the helpline is there to talk about how you feel as much as anything else.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge

• Thankyou Steve......now feel guilty as all has settled down and is ok for now.....I feel your care and support and feel very lucky to be able to vent a bit on here. Hardest thing I have ever had to do in my life!!!!