Night Vigil - anyone else up

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 3 replies
  • 45 subscribers

Hi night owls,

I've not posted before but have used the site a bit.

My mum has been battling esophageal cancer for the past 2 years but her time to rest has come.

I've been lucky to have been able to move in and be with her the past 2 weeks.

I'm staying up tonight to allow my dad to sleep without worry that someone is keeping an eye on her.

We've been very lucky to be able to cope with nursing her at home, where she wanted to be.

If anyone else is awake and fancies a chat I'll be here for a few hours yet, if not, good luck to all and thank you Macmillan

My mum was a member of the local fundraising group for 30 years, many of these as chair person.

Love and hugs

Mairi

• Hi ,

I remember the days of lying awake and especially the waking up early in the morning and not being able to get back to sleep - insomnia can be really hard so fingers crossed you get a good night.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to src60

Hi Steve, 

Thanks for replying.  This forum is becoming a good release for me. 

I should be sleeping now as on the 3am watch but finding it hard. 

Mum is defying all the nurses and fighting on despite on Wednesday afternoon them saying it wouldn't be long once on the morphine pump.  However they have not taken into consideration my mum's viking genes and the strength of a red head. 

It's becoming quite hard to cope with now but we're staying strong,  like everyone else in this group.   

Not sure if anyone has any experience or advice but she's become more responsive today despite the increase in sedatives. She hears everything but is struggling to communicate which is so so hard when she's in distress. 

I'm lucky and we have a tight family so both my brothers are helping too.  Our nurses are amazing and we're being well fed by friends and family.  I just need to stay strong so she has her wish of staying at home. 

I hope you and your family are well just now

Best wishes

Mairi

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

'Through the night of Doubt and sorrow

onward goes the pilgrim band

singing songs of expectation

marching to the promised land '

you are not alone, there is always someone hearing you, and wishing you well, touching hands across the void.

I will be thinking of you tonight, never fear.

xxx