Motivation

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 3 replies
  • 43 subscribers

morning everyone, my husband was diagnosed with terminal cancer earlier this year. Chemo didn’t work and now it is symptom and pain control only. He’s at home and we’re coping ok. The problem I am finding at the moment is motivating him to do things. His mobility is limited and he moves around on crutches. He’s lost a lot of muscle due to lack of walking but if he doesn’t have to walk, he doesn’t and relies on others to do everything. The doctors try to encourage him to walk a bit more to gain the muscle back but it’s like trying to get a teenager to do stuff! He’d rather watch sky news on a 10hr cycle. It’s so frustrating for me because I know he can do more but there is only so much I can ‘nag’. 

I’m not completely heartless and I understand this is hard for him but his mental state seems to be overtaking his physical one. It’s been suggested he ring the helpline and he agrees... unless I ring the number and hand him the phone it won’t happen. Then he looks at me for all the answers. Does anyone have any tips?

• Hi

Someone said to me, ‘you can take a horse to water...’ and it’s so true. My brother gave up and no one could make him help himself. My husband is a fighter but even he has defeatist days. You can only do what you can and although it sounds harsh, the rest is up to him. Remember to look after you too.

love and hugs

LoobyLou
    If you find dust in my house, write your name in it. When the signatures overlap I'll get the polish. 

Click here to see how to add details to your profile. It helps everyone to see a little about you

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi

I'd like to apologise  about the length of time to respond to you but now that I've found you I hope I can you some support.

I'm very sorry to hear about your husband and his mobility reluctance it's difficult to motivate yourself when you are in so much pain although we are told that being mobile is best the way to help ourselves.

But what can I suggest to help you and your husband apart from hiding the remote control seriously I wonder if your GP, apart the doctors encouraging him to walk a bit more, has referred him to the community occupational therapist, I will be giving information below about this.

Have you both had a care assessment from your local County Council Adult Social Care Team, again more information below.

Between the occupational therapist and the social work they should be able to come up with a plan to get some of his mobility back, this could mean he is collected from the house and taken to a day care centre and get involved in some there activities like gentle exercise which care be done standing or seated, it's amazing the number of exercises that can be done in a chair that involves moving every part of the body, he might even get his lunch.

Arranging the above can be done by you and the assessments are carried out in your home and may also involve some adaptations to make getting around the house easier for your husband.

Information on the above

How to get occupational therapy

You can get occupational therapy free through the NHS or social services,

You can:

speak to your GP practice about a referral

or

search for your local council to ask if you can get occupational therapy

How occupational therapy can help you

Occupational therapy can help you with practical tasks if you:

are physically disabled

are recovering from an illness or operation

have learning disabilities

have mental health problems

are getting older

Occupational therapists work with people of all ages and can look at all aspects of daily life in your home, school or workplace.

They look at the activities he finds difficult and see if there's another way he can do them.

Getting assessments for you and husband 

Social care and support guide

Read about how to:

Needs Assessment for your husband

Carers Needs Assessment for yourself.

You will see that I have made a lot of mention about yourself getting this help, it is essential that you get help otherwise you could burn yourself out and get I'll yourself then where will your husband be then.

I'm not sure if all this will help or if you've gone through the system previously but do contact either the OT or the social worker as soon as possible

Please keep me informed on things go and if the above is a no no we'll go back to the drawing and look at alternatives.

Please do keep in touch with me

Ian

By clicking on any of the green text above will open up new pages for you and give you information. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Tash

I am sorry to hear about your struggles... it sounds so familiar though... we had a few good weeks back in August, we even went away for a week so I’ve relaxed a bit... and then on the first day after we got home my husband had another infection which basically knocked him down really hard and he has been struggling since... his anxiety and panic attacks are just taking over our life... he is scarred to get up in the morning and staying in bed til the afternoon... He’s had his first scan last week since the start of the treatment and we are waiting for the results now.  I am paralysed with fear what will happen if it’s not good news...

we so desperately need a small, tiny bit of a good news..

I am exhausted....