Sleeping

• 4 replies
  • 44 subscribers

Our story: my husband was admitted to hospital in February with a burst appendix - and when they scanned him, they found he had bowel cancer. He’d had no symptoms and had had a clear from the ‘poo on the stick’ test. We determinedly said how lucky we were to have it discovered. 

He had the op to remove that chunk of bowel and we had the good news it hadn’t spread. He had a rough time with and following the op and was in hospital for 31 days. 

He’s been home for 6 weeks now and was about to embark on a ‘belt and braces’ course of chemo, as 6 of the 13 lymph nodes they extracted were cancerous, when some “markers” were spotted. More scans. He has 11 cancerous lesions in his liver. He has an MRI tomorrow to determine whether they can operate or whether after an aggressive course of chemo, they could operate. Or whether they can’t. The oncologist will call us on Wednesday with which of these possibilities becomes our reality  

During the day I can mostly hold it together. But at night, the fear overwhelms me. I can’t sleep, I just count it as a win if I can suppress crying until my husband is asleep. To make it harder, I am 3 weeks into a new job so really need to be able to manage the next day. 

My husband is resolutely positive, bless him, so I don’t want to compromise his peace of mind, either. 

I don’t know how to bear this. 

• So sorry for your troubles its still hard to believe how people can be well and yet have cancer growing within them . I think you need someone to offload on I am lucky I have a good support network and can say exactly what I feel . Are there friends or family you can speak to ? Also the Macmillian helpline is very good not only will they listen they will offer practical advice .And all of us on here .We all have a wealth of experience unfortunately and are here to support you as we need support ourselves . Ive done some of my crying in the shower it really helps sometimes . There is no easy way to get through this but people are living with cancer longer than ever .Its not easy but somehow we do it .My husband has had it four times including two brain mets he is still here 3 and half years later .The old cliche one day at a time really works .Good luck and keep posting we are all here for you xx

Granny Sue

• Thank you very much. 

I think the news tomorrow is unlikely to be that it’s operable and I’m trying to steel myself. 

I read some scary stuff from people whose elderly parents have been in this awful situation. I don’t know what difference it might make that my husband is ‘only’ 60 (I am 48). Too many unknowns and too much terrifying speculation. Funny how you think you pretty much know your plan for the year - and then it’s scuppered. 

Four times sounds like a lot of ups and downs. Your husband - and you - sound admirably resilient. I will try and learn from you. 

I find I cannot talk about this - it is too overwhelming. I think I would start crying and not be able to stop. 

• Dear Amanda,

I am so sorry for what you both are going through. This is such a serious diagnosis. It is never good when cancer has already spread to the liver. Or are they primary tumors? Well, but even when they are, it is still a very serious diagnosis.

I completely understand and really feel for you. During the day we are able to cope because we have lots of things to do that distract us. But once it is quiet around us (and should feel peaceful) all our fears and worries can come to the surface.

I am wondering if a sleep meditation would help you? They helped me when my husband was so sick and I desperately needed my sleep. You can find one on Youtube which is called "Guided medityation for sleep difficulty and insomnia" by Free Bed Meditations. I have almost always fallen asleep to this one but, if I didn't fall asleep, I at least wasn't gripped by those feelings of fear.

Love, Mel.

I don't like the term "moving on" because it sounds to me like we are leaving our loved ones and the life we had with them behind. I like the term "moving forward" as it implies that, while life goes on, our loved ones are still with us in our hearts and minds. 

• Thank you Mel  It’s already such a relief to come in here and find people who absolutely understand 

My husband’s liver cancer is secondary. Hoping they can operate but with 11 lesions, I am very much afraid