Major surgery bowel cancer

• 1 reply
  • 8 subscribers

My husband has to have an 8-10 hour bowel cancer operation to remove the main tumour and tumours in lymph nodes if all goes well and no complications.

it is not a straight forward operation there are complex issues and many large arteries and nerves near by.

We have been told it is major surgery with many risks and possible complications. Also death during surgery is possible. 
I am absolutely devastated and scared but this is the only option as he had bad side effects from chemo.

Has anybody else had a long surgery like this with all these risks and how did you deal with the stress and anxiety?

• Hi  

It's natural to be stressed and anxious about the prospect of your husband's upcoming surgery so can I suggest that you also post this message in the carers only forum where you can talk to others who have loved ones who've undergone surgery.

To connect directly with people who have had this type of surgery, I hope you don't mind me suggesting that you also post this message in the bowel cancer forum, which I can see you've posted in before.

Wishing you and your husband all the best

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"