Fluid on brain

• 2 replies
  • 8 subscribers

Has anyone got experience of having fluid on the brain after radiotherapy or surgery? 

Mum was diagnosed with melanoma on her back and squamous carcinoma on her scalp in July. She had radical radiotherapy on her scalp and surgery to remove the melanoma in September. 

Since September,  we noticed some serious confusion which has been getting worse. Yesterday,  after fighting for a month to prove she doesn't have a uti, a CT scan showed significant fluid on the brain.  She was due an MRI today but it hasn't happened. 

Any one been through the same?

• Hi  and welcome to the Community although I am sorry to hear about your mum.

I have had a lot of radiotherapy but have not experienced this problem, I do hope that you can get answers soon.

The Community is divided into support groups (discussion rooms) so can I suggest you consider joining our supportive Melanoma and Skin cancer groups. These are safe places to talk to others who may have a similar diagnosis, treatment experience, to ask questions and get support from family on the same journey.

If you'd like to connect in with a group click on the Green (Bold) link(s) I have created above. Once the group page opens click on the black banner that says [click to join] at the bottom, or the [Join] button under "Group tools."

You can then introduce yourself by putting up a ‘new post’ by clicking in the box near the top right with + New or + (Depending on the device you are using) and you are ready to go. You could copy and paste the text from this post into your new post.

When it comes to the practical and emotional challenges of supporting family you may also benefit from joining our general Family and friends and Carers only  groups where you will connect with others navigating the same challenges.

Macmillan have many support services so do check out the Macmillan Support Line is open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00. These services provide cancer information, practical information, emotional support, benefits/financial guidance or just a listening ear.  We also have our Ask an Expert section but do allow a few working days for a reply.

Talking to people face to face can be very helpful so do check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area, do also check for a local Maggie's Centre as these folks are amazing and aim to give support to all the family.

Please do get back to me if you need further help.

All the very best.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge