BRCA 2 Journey

• 2 replies
  • 10 subscribers

Hi all,

I'm new here and was diagnosed with BRCA 2 gene in May. My mother was diagnosed with breast cancer in Oct 2021 and we had testing due to her not knowing her family history (adopted). 

I wouldn't say I was shocked to get the news as I have very bad anxiety and depression and already convinced myself I had it while waiting for the results. But still horrible news and not what we were hoping for. 

I have an appointment on 20th July to discuss operations and moving forward and although I have made my mind up that I will have a double mastectomy and hysterectomy I'm absolutely petrified.  I'm trying to stay strong and think on the positive side but I am struggling at the moment. 

I'm also a bigger girl (although lost 4 stone last year), but now I have come to a stand still and cant seem to shift any more of the weight. I'm petrified I'll die under aesthetic due to my size, that it will take me a very long time to recover, about how we will cope with me being off work and not earning due to the time off and a barrage of other catastrophizing thoughts. 

Just wanted to speak to others who may have been through the same or may be worried too. 

Thanks 

• Hi and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I haven't been tested to see if I carry this gene but noticed that you hadn't had any replies to your post yet. Responding to you will 'bump' your post back to the top of the discussion list where it'll be more easily seen.

While you're waiting for replies it would be great if you could pop something about your diagnosis and treatment to date into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi JayBird

I to have the BRACA 2 gene.  I have had my ovaries removed (having already had a hysterectomy) in May 2018.All straightforward. I opted for annual surveillance but was diagnosed in March this year with breast cancer. I have had a double mastectomy with breast reconstruction.  I have a triple negative cancer and so I am now on chemotherapy.  I am pleased with my new breasts. 

I have also had 6 sessions of free counselling from Macmillan. It may help you to sort out your thoughts.  Use your medical team who I am sure will support as you make these decisions.  There are no right and wrongs.

Take everything a step at a time.  You will get there. I always write out my questions before each appointment.

Good luck and lots of virtual hugs

ricki