BRCA1 truths

• 2 replies
  • 10 subscribers

Even after a bilateral mastectomy and histology lab clearance (negative) has anyone had a primary breast cancer emerge who is BRCA1? I’ve no prior cancer diagnosis and had my preventative bilateral surgery in November. Terrified of a smooth oval lump I feel near my scar line. This cruel mutation has ravaged my baby sister’s life at an unthinkably young age. I feel utterly scared, heartbroken and so angry and helpless this has happened to her. It’s all so terrifying. 

• Hi Sashart, I was diagnosed with breast cancer in November 2017 went on to have mastectomy and full lymph node clearance. Sadly I lost my sister age 43 to ovarian cancer in 2009.After my diagnosis I found out I was brca1 carrier. It was my decision to have preventable surgery I went on to have a healthy breast removed and a partial hysterectomy as I couldn’t live with the fact I could go on to develop ovarian cancer or it starting in the other breast. 
    I totally understand your fears and anger I’ve gone through it too. It’s very cruel and hits a family hard. I have another sister who was tested and she doesn’t carry the gene as it’s 50/50. 
    On a positive note I’m still here, cancer free and just have a body full of scars.Hang in there you’ll feel less scared as time passes.God bless your sister x

• Thank you Debs for your kind words. I’m seeing my consultant today to check this lumpy area and my little sister starts radiation, she’s incredibly brave and determined, such strength. So pleased to hear your surgery has kept you healthy post diagnosis. I too will have a hysterectomy soon once my baby No3 is born. If the pregnancy goes well (so much stress right now). X