Ovary removal

• 13 replies
  • 13 subscribers

Hello,

Looking for someone who’s in a similar situation really. 
I’m 39 with the BRCA1 gene, I had a double mastectomy 4 years ago which I don’t regret, but I feel now it’s time to have my ovaries Removed.

I’m umming and arring maiming because I don’t want to be kicked into menopause at 39!

Has anyone else my age had them removed? 
My consultant has also suggested that just having the tubes removed is an option as sometimes cancers start there and I won’t go into menopause.

Hoping someone can offer some advice.

Thank you

Amy

• Hi AmyW2016. My mum, and my sister both had a full hysterectomy because of the BRCA1 gene. My mum was slightly older than you, my sister was 38.  My niece has the gene, and she will be having preventive Mastectomy and hysterectomy when she is 35, she is currently 31. There has been a lot of research that shows that ovary removal does reduce the risk of cancer in  woman with BRCA1. I do understand though that this is a tough decision to have to make. Menopause is not fun. I also had a medically induced menopause, but at the time I kept one of my ovaries. I have since been put on hormone treatment to switch this ovary off, which has made my menopause symptoms herendous. Ironically my sister sailed through hers. 

Good luck with your decision.

Take care 

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge
  • hi I am 41, unlike you, i havent had any surgery yet, am considering removing my ovaries and tubes, because i feel ovarian cancer sounds scarier than breast cancer, and yet i am still undecided as a small part of me hoping i am the lucky one to dodge C, and also as you very concerned about the early menapause. 

maybe i will just go with tube removal for now. 

• Hi, I am 48 with the BRCA2 gene.  I had my ovaries and tubes removed just before Christmas. I have been ok, occasional night sweats but nothing like I was expecting but everyone is different.  Just waiting for my double mastectomy with reconstruction operation.  Big decisions to be made having this gene, but I just felt the time was right for me.

• Hello, Thank you for taking the time to reply!

So you were expecting things to be worse? I don't know why menopause is scaring me so much, have you gone on to HRT? and how is your mood?
    Is such a horrible gene isn't it, these decisions are so hard.

• Thank you for taking the time to reply.
    I didn't even realise tube removal was an option and i'm happier with that idea, i'm not sure what's holding me back really.

• Hi Chelle, 

Thank you for replying. Can i ask how they have found the menopause?
    and is yours likely to get better?
    I don't know why it's worrying me so much. Having a mastectomy was a much easier decision!

• That’s ok it’s nice to be able to talk to people in the same situation.  For the menopause I was just going on what people I know have gone through and it was definitely 50/50!  I am glad that I haven’t had a bad experience and without HRT, no obvious mood changes (or no one is telling me anyway)!  I waited years to decide whether to have the test and make decisions and last year felt the time was right.

• Did you 100% want to take HRT? I'm guessing things would be even worse without it? I'm imagining it like bad PMS where i'm angry and moody all the time and want to eat all the food! It's panicking me!
    Did your consultant offer for you to have just your tubes removed?

Sorry for all the questions! Thank you 

• Hi Amy, because I am on anastrozole and zoledex to reduce the oestregon in my body, my menopause symptoms are far greater than having ovary removal alone. So it is hard for me to say what are menopausal symptoms and what are symptoms of my treatment.  Unfortunately for me as I have to remain on this treatment to keep my cancer stable, my symptoms will never stop. My sister found that after she had her hysterectomy and ovaries removed, she pretty much sailed through the menopause, she had hot flushes which lasted for about 12 months, but has been fine since. 

It is different for everyone, and unfortunately you wont know how it will effect you.  

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge
  • That’s ok.  I haven’t taken HRT, the consultant said if I could cope without then great and so far so good.  My consultant recommended tubes and ovaries so I went with their expertise in this area, I just thought I have had time to think, had my kids and nearing menopause so just going to take anything offered to reduce the risk.  My family have been so supportive throughout which really helps.