Widowed Friends Group, Northern Ireland

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 124 replies
  • 25 subscribers
Hello All. I wonder if I might tell you about a Friendship Group Meeting for Widows/Widowers that we are planning to hold in Belfast on Saturday 14th September. This is simply a group for men and women who have lost their husband, wife or partner and would like to meet together with other people in the same position. We are "testing the waters" to see if people are interested or think there is a need for a group like this. If you would like more information, please check out the contact details on our website - www.wfni.co.uk, get in touch with us and we will provide further details. Thank you all, best wishes, Lorna xx
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi Elaine,Carl,Kate, Jennifer, Muriel and anyone else in the same position. I'm from portadown and would love to meet up with others in the same position as myself. Maybe a coffee at Debbie's in lisburn?  Pam

• FormerMember

Hi Pam, Carl, &Muriel,sorry I am only getting back to you all .I lost my husband Ivan  nearly 2 years ago. I joined a site  called  Way Up which is site for widow a and widower.We now have got a group  together in N Ireland and we go out once a month on a Sunday for a meal.  The site is mostly  English  were they have  a lot of groups .You can also get a lot of help from the site.The group last month went out to the Bull & Ran in Ballynahinch.  If you would like to meet  for coffee I can  meet up with you for coffee at Dobbies  in Lisburn .       Jennifer

• FormerMember

Hi Pam 

I do believe a group needs to be set up for people such as ourselves and for anyone else who has been bereaved to go for a chat a coffee or just of load frustrations. Don't get me wrong these sights are fantastic for making contact with people but you definitely need one to one contact. Everyones story is different in what they have come and gone through. So i definitely up for a coffee and a chat when ever your free. 

Carl 

• FormerMember

Hi PC.  I'm in a similar position to you as my husband will be gone 4 years on 14 August this year.  I too have also tried to meet up with people before without much success - mainly down to me.  I just don't think I was ready and I found it very difficult.  I, also like you, see lots of people during the week as I still work full time but once it hits the weekend, I have no friends outside of work to do the ordinary things with like a spontaneous meal or a drive, like you say.  I even went on holiday along last August for a few days to Spain, but didn't really enjoy it, particularly in the evenings - company is everything!  My two eldest children - 28 and 25 - are back home with me since finishing university and my youngest - my daughter who is 22 - lives with her boyfriend.  I fully appreciate I am lucky to have them, and they are a great support and joy to me - but I am soooo lonely.  I have recently started therapy again, as I became so depressed and lonely but feel I am starting to peep up above the parapet again.  If you would like to meet up please let me know.

• FormerMember

Carl there is a group, which meets in Cregagh Library in Belfast on a Saturday morning once a month (can't remember which Saturday I is as I've only been once).  I am going to go back to it myself and give it another go as I'm beginning to feel a bit better again.  Worth getting in touch with the library for the date of the next meet up.

• FormerMember

Hi everyone, The group no longer meets in Creagh rd on a Saturday morning as the library now closes on a Saturday morning . I am willing to  meet anyone who would like to meet at Dobbies for coffee. The group I meet for lunch or dinner decided that we would meet on a Sunday as it was at the weekend we found the worst.It is only now nearly 2years on that I feel I can go out for a meal and enjoy it with other people. I did not join way up until Ivan had been dead nearly a year and I found a great help reading other people's posts and posted very few but it helped me a lot .I also went to cruse 13 weeks after Ivan passed away it also helped me.Some days are still a struggle and I am coming up to his anniversary and it's not nearly as bad as last year when I lived every day of his last 6 weeks.. If you are wanting to meet up for coffee I can meet you. 

Jennifer 

• FormerMember

Would love to meet up for coffee. I'm free Saturday 1st or 8th July. We could meet at dobbies Lisburn at 10am. Carl, Jennifer , Muriel, Kate and anyone else who is free and would like to come. Please post what day would suit you all best. I'm looking forward to meeting people who are in the same position as myself. Pam. 

• FormerMember

Hi Carl I could meet you on the 1st @11am at Dobbies  Jennifer

• FormerMember

My wife passed away one month ago Monday passed and she was my whole world. I get good days and bad days i try to keep myself busy most days. For three months before my wife's passing i grieved almost every day I lost 2 and a half stone in weight I couldn't sleep couldn't eat for the shear thought of losing my darling wife. I have had counselling over the phone with Maria curie which was good to of load. I had spoken to the councillor over the period while i nursed my wife. Don't get me wrong anything at the time was great  but talking face to face with people i do believe is the best way forward. I have been referred for counselling but I have been told it's going to take 6_10 weeks before i can get it what good is that to any one. My faith in God has brought me through this along with amazing friends and neighbours. I just feel that people on the ground need to get together to help each other. 

Carl 

• FormerMember

Hi Pam I lost my husband in February this year and find this new road that we are on is very difficult but I do find that getting out and meeting people is such a great help. There is a group who meet up as least once a month for lunch/dinner and this is the fourth meeting. The next one is Sunday 2nd July in the Templeton and you are very welcome to come along. We choose a Sunday as most people in our situation don't like Sundays anymore. I  live in Lisburn and a few of us ladies meet up for coffee too and we have made some great friendships so please let me know if you'd like to meet up. KateÂ