Widowed Friends Group, Northern Ireland

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 124 replies
  • 25 subscribers
Hello All. I wonder if I might tell you about a Friendship Group Meeting for Widows/Widowers that we are planning to hold in Belfast on Saturday 14th September. This is simply a group for men and women who have lost their husband, wife or partner and would like to meet together with other people in the same position. We are "testing the waters" to see if people are interested or think there is a need for a group like this. If you would like more information, please check out the contact details on our website - www.wfni.co.uk, get in touch with us and we will provide further details. Thank you all, best wishes, Lorna xx
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi Elaine sorry I haven't replied sooner but I was away for a few days. You might find Griefshare could help you at a later stage although I find it helps me now. You really don't have to say anything if u don't want to as there is a video each week and you are given a workbook too. I found it comforting but it is a 13 week course and it should be run again. 

As you say you miss all the little things about your husband even the things that used to drive you mad. It's also missing that someone you could tell all the little things to and who knew the people you knew and having no one there to share your thoughts with or to tell those little everyday things to as they don't mean anything to anyone else. 

When you feel ready let me know and we can have a coffee and a chat. 

• FormerMember

Hi Elaine had meant to say in my earlier text that there are a group of us meeting on Sunday 4th June in the Bull and Ram in Ballynahinch at 5 o'clock and you are very welcome as is anyone else who is reading this . We decided on a Sunday as most of us find Sundays the most difficult as it seems to be the day for couples and makes us more aware of what we used to have and how much we miss being part of a couple although we didn't realise it at the time. 

Take care in the meantime.

Kate

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Lorna 

By any chance is this group still running or was that just a one of many thanks Carl 

• FormerMember

Hi Carl, The group is still running the library on creagh rd is closing on a Saturday for the summer.Lorna is to get back to me about the new place  we're it is going to be held. Jennifer 

• FormerMember

Hi, it's been a long time from I've been on this site. Had tried to meet up with people but it didn't work out. It's 4 years from my husband passed away after only 5 weeks from diagnosis. I too find weekends the loneliest. One of the main problems I have come across is that the majority of my friends are married. . I see plenty ofpeopleduringthe week but weekends are really for family and I don't like intruding on others family time.. Not having someone to talk over the small silly things or crumble too is difficult. It's also difficult I feel not having some one to go on holidays with or a spontaneous meal or drive with. If anyone feels like this I'd be more than happy to meet up. Pam.

• FormerMember

Hi

Pam my namd is Muriel, i lost my husband last year, i like so my others find weekends lonely, i  do voluntry work one day a week at Mount Stewart, but if you like we can meet up for coffee anytime . I livd in Greyabbey, dont drive at this moment, but getting about isnt any problem i could meet you in Belfast perhaps, if intertest, please reply and i can pass on my telephone number. Bye for now Muriel

• FormerMember

Hi my Wife passed away on the 19th of May 2017 and i feel exactly the same i don't have anyone to talk to about the silly things that maybe don't matter to other people but matter to me. Don't get me wrong i do have a grown up family and they are really supportive in every way but there is not everything that you can ofload and only so much you can . I only joined this group not long ago and don't get me wrong it is really good to hear from other people who have suffered the pain and lose of what we have come through. It is just i think it is nice just to be face to face with people  who can feel my pain i have always been one for having a laugh. The one thing I do really get comfort from is my faith in God and would love to share my experience with people for how he has brought me through this, I did ask the question on here was there such groups that people could meet together and share thoughts and experiences but it seemed to be groups that were in England and nothing here to were you could meet people who have come through similar situations. Anyway I need to go if this is something that you would like to share with a listening ear just drop me a line 

Carl 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi

Brilliant idea pity I don't live in Northern Ireland. Good luck x

• FormerMember

Hi Muriel. I would live to meet up. I work 2 days a week but am fairly flexible. I drive so getting about is no problem. Loneliness especially at weekends definitely seems to be a recurring problem for most people. Look forward to hearing from you. X

• FormerMember

Hi Carl. You are in the very early stages of your journey. I think you're very brave joining a site like this early on. I too have a strong personal faith in God. Without it and my family and friends over the past 4 years I would have found life very difficult. There is no one like your spouse for sharing with and I don't think we ever get over that. I'm here if you need someone to talk to. Pam