I’m heartbroken

• 3 replies
  • 25 subscribers

My lovely husband of 11 years died on Saturday. He went through a total laryngectomy April 2023, he was so brave and was doing so so well, we even went away for a month, just back last Thursday, 2 days later he died so suddenly, he went into bathroom to clear his throat, I went in to see what was keeping him as he was about to make his breakfast. He was lying dead, I called 999 and they told me to start CPR, I knew he was gone but I tried for ages till medics arrived, they worked on him for about 30 mins but could do nothing. I am so heartbroken, I just can’t stop thinking if I went in bathroom even a few minutes earlier I could have helped him. His stoma looked as if it closed so he was probably starved of oxygen. Why did this happen? How do I get through this? Not sleeping, can’t stop crying, I am so lost. How does everyone cope with this loss?

• Oh Charlie, I feel so sad for you. This IS an awful time.

Questions are always going to pop into your head. I know they do mine. I lost my husband 10 weeks ago. 

It's ok to keep crying, it's very normal. I think of my tears, as tears of love, pouring out of my eyes.

Do pop to the doctors if you need help sleeping, coz sleep is very important, to help you try and function.

We are all here for you, when you want to...... scream, shout, cry, moan or just rant.

Sending you big hugs xx

• Thank you for replying, I’m sorry for your loss as well,  this is the hardest thing I’ve ever experienced. When I think about all the surgery, chemoradiotherapy that almost killed him, sepsis and he survived and then this sudden death. I just can’t believe it. Xx

• It's because you weren't expecting it and even if you are, its still awful.

My husband was told he had a few weeks to live...... but passed away 2 days later.

It's a horrible shock and a horrible thing suddenly not having them around. 

You and your husband sound very brave, with everything you have been through together. 

Reach out for chats. I'm normally online in the evenings..... nothing else to do.

Take care of yourself xx