Gosh, life throws your curve balls sometimes.

• 3 replies
  • 27 subscribers

It is just coming up to one year since the love of my life died after she had been diagnosed with lung cancer 11 months previously. We did all the things we could, and if you could die a good death, she certainly did. And we lived it all together. However, I have now been told that there is a chance I may have myeloma. On the 14 day pathway. And though it is not yet confirmed and the prognosis is not as bad (probably get 5 years at my age if confirmed), I still feel that pain that the one person that lived this all with me in her last year is now not here. I feel a little lonely. Gosh life doesn't make things easy sometimes. Still, not even had confirmed diagnosis. Just wanted to say this to people who would know what I was feeling. 

• Hello padjo59

Firstly I am very sorry to hear of your wife's passing after her lung cancer. I hope that you can take some comfort from being able to do all the things you could with her and were able to support her when she did die. I can only imagine how difficult it must have been. Please remember Macmillan is here when you need us.

I am sorry to hear of your possible myeloma and I hope that you soon have some answers about what is going on and what may happen next. It must bring it home as well after your experiences over the last couple of years. Feeling lonely at these times is to be expected. Do you have other family/friends around you? 

I hope that it has helped to say how you are feeling on here and people will indeed understand how you are feeling. if talking things through would help then please do give the Support Line a call. 

Please do let us know how you are getting on and if there is anything you need, then please do ask.

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Well they have confirmed it's definitely myeloma and it's incurable and kills you in about 5 or 6 years on average. Chemo underway and stem cell transplant coming in December.

Main feelings are:

• It would be nice to have Caro here to say 'poor Paddy Jo' and look after me
    • She would have been great at it
    • But now she doesnt have to watch me die, which she would have hated.
    • So in a way I get a good outcome. I was loved and she was there always for me, but she is spared the pain
    • And whatever, we had 24 lovely years together which I could never ever forget or regret, whatever the circumstances 
  • Hello Padjo59

I am very sorry to hear of the loss of your wife and I know that you are taking  comfort from the fact that you had such a love and such an important anchor in your life that still, and will always, bring meaning and richness to you in your life.

I know that you will really feel the loss of this anchor now when you face your own tough roller coaster of a journey. Not every human being gets to experience this priceless love we have had with our deceased partners - we were the really lucky ones.

I wish you the very best of success with your stem cell transplant. Hopefully you will also draw on the strength of your wife's love, and your mutual strength as a romantic, loving couple that you had through her illness. That spirit and her strength will still be with you now.

As Jane said I hope you can keep in touch with us through this journey and please ask us for help. I pop on here less now but it is such a source of help.

Florence