My husband has died

• 3 replies
  • 28 subscribers

After 40 mostly difficult, sometimes awful years, bizarrely I find that the all the horrid times have magically disappeared, and I’m rewriting our history with all the snatches of barely remembered good stuff. Some of it from long ago; but some recent too.
Stephen died at 6pm on Monday. 

On Friday he still managed the 10, steep, steps out of our house - with rests and strategically placed chairs. And made it to the car to go out for his much-loved tour and essential, wheelchair tour of all his favourite shops and garden centre. This had become his lifeline and kept him sane as he got to see and experience the world outside of our four walls. He was in dread of the time when he would no longer be able. He directed the cooking of yet another amazing meal and chose the wine, although his appetite was not up to eating much of it. Food and drink were his main pleasures and he had repeatedly said that the day he could no longer enjoy them was the day to go...

Saturday saw him weaker. He managed to get out of bed and onto the sofa for just an hour. He ate just a big spoonful of crême fraiche, honey, two tiny biscuits and some chunks of melon. His breathing was noisier; he was agitated and struggling to know whether he wanted to lie down or sit up and wasn’t comfortable either way. Sunday he was less coherent; unable to finish his sentences and frustrated when I was unable to make sense of what he was trying to say, and sometimes confused. But he had no pain. 

On Monday morning the palliative care nurse advised me to arrange the ambulance for the afternoon and bring him to the palliative care unit. (We are in France) By 3pm when the ambulance came, he was barely conscious, but still responsive. By 4.30pm he was in bed. I offered him a little water which he drank. I said could he look at me and he opened his eyes and fixed them on me as I showed him his favourite shirt that I had brought with me. I’m sure he reacted with his eyes. I perfumed his beard with his favourite cologne. I held his hand which felt cold and clammy and not that pleasant to be honest. So from time to time I let go. 
I was sitting by his side, wondering what time I should go home to feed the cats, and looked round at him and realised his chest didn’t seem to be moving; his eyes were open and so was his mouth. I touched him. I called his name. I got a nurse, who called another, and they confirmed that he was dead. Just like that. Silently, peacefully, no obvious struggle and no pain.

He had wanted to die at home, but I think that, all said, an hour and a half in hospital right at the end would have been fine by him.  He had arranged to donate his body to science - not for any altruistic reason, but mainly intending to spare me what he considered unnecessary stress and expense. The hardest thing was leaving him behind in the room for the last time. 

Returning home to a house full of medical equipment and detritus was odd, but, from my point of view, I’m relieved not to be confronted every day with the room/bed where he died (I appreciate others may feel differently and would take comfort where I can’t). Yesterday was full of phone calls, and the pain of, unexpectedly, having to sort out transport for his body to the teaching hospital within a very specific time frame. I barely had time to think.

This morning finds me sitting here writing this and wondering what comes next...

• Sorry to hear of your loss, lovely to hear it was peaceful for you and your husband. Firstly give yourself  a little self time  but the first week always seems to be a round of notifying everyone as I remember it . Usually the places you have to deal with are very calm and  cosiderate.  I've always found that in these circumstances  nothing  seems real  till you have done all the necessarys. Then comes that big step to adjust to a new life . But speaking from experience  it takes some time  I have been a widow for 20 years following a cancer path with my husband. So do take care give yourself time and remember to cry if you wish, refuse company if you feel you need space any day.  Take care  this is a hug for you too  

• Hello 

First of all I am very sorry for your loss. Many things ring bells with me about your husband's death. Very similar at the end. I am in France too, so we have a lot in common there. Just wanted to let you know I understand.

A funeral to arrange within 5 days in France, is a tough one I know. I had no family here to help, and no one from Barry's came either. I somehow managed. The administration that follows was horrendous but I needed help with that. Take care. Don't rush. Hold on. The good memories are there for you. One small step at a time. Keep posting here. It has been my absolute lifeline.

Hugs to you. 

Fifinet 
    As Voltaire, the French writer said " I am going to be happy because it is good for my health "
  • I am so sorry for your loss.  It is a horrible process to navigate.  My husband died 10 May.  Like your husband, he wanted to die at home; due to circumstances, he ended up in A&E for about 12 hours before he died.  I was with him at the very end.  He was non-responsive and his hands were cool.  He was resting quietly and slipped away peacefully.  When a nurse came in to tell me that had a room, I indicated that she check him.  He never got to a room.  Leaving him that last time was a numbing experience.

Now as the weeks have passed, some things have been sorted (important calls, notifications); the funeral was 8 days ago.  I still cry so much of the time … for my loss, for his loss.  I’ve taken a few walks in places we liked.  I talk to him; I cry.  The pain and loneliness I feel without him is so great.  I have no family in this country; no do I have any friends, at least nobody local.  Our life together, definitely no always easy or pleasant, was focused on each other and getting out in nature for bird watching, nature, and photography.

I have many lists of things to do, trying to prioritize, trying to figure out how I can manage it, how can I learn or how can I afford to have someone else do it.

I hope you find some solace here on the site.  There are many of us who are navigating this painful and lonely process.

WildBird