The second year's over.

• 5 replies
  • 28 subscribers

Hello everyone 

Just wanted to write a bit today and get a few things off my chest ! Some good things some not so. Barry died two years ago on the 30th May, after a long battle with Cancer . Where has the time gone ? From the first days and weeks of sorting out things, administration and blind terror at being left alone, it continued into this last year. Dealing with grief, in all its forms, not textbook style either, anger, guilt, fear, depression, in no order and with no time limit either. Just one day at a time, even one hour, is all we can do. At first people where there for me, and neighbours helped too, but that has significantly changed, even just in the last months.I live in a smallish village in the Dordogne, and we all pretty much know everyone. In fact I know 12 widowers locally, all older than me, but they all have families and some money, mostly.So what have I learnt throughout all this ? Mainly, to trust yourself and to know how and when to do things as you wish to do them. I have managed to do things that Barry used to do ie Internet, passwords and electricity ! Took time though .When to ask for help is a big one. too. I hate to ask, but found usually people, or else the ones that have remained !!!!! were happy to be asked.

What do I miss the most of this sometimes lonely life ?

Hand holding, going up the road to the local Cafe for a glass or two of wine.

A kiss is what I miss.

Someone intelligent to speak to !!!!! Barry was amazing. Had been all around the world as a photographer/ journalist.

The humour. From Glasgow of course, a right good howl at something so off the wall. Even in difficult circumstances he could be funny.

Well, there we are for the moment. It helps to write things down.   I write a journal most days, and look back at just how far I have come without realizing it ?

I write a monthly blog too on www.glasgowwestend.co.uk Entitled Fifi's stories from rural France. This month there will be a little tribute to Barry. X

• What a journey! I’m new to this as my husband died 10 May, just over four weeks ago.  I am glad to read your post, to hear about your life - both good and bad.  Yes, even at my early stage, I can say that I experience good and bad.  Interestingly Dordogne was a villiage we wanted to visit in the spring, to explore and look at wild orchids.  We never quite made it, with covid and then Dave’s terminal cancer.  Perhaps I will make the trip myself - in honour, in memory of Dave, though his spirit always traveling with me.  He taught me so much about the natural world around us.  Keep posting.  For me, reading others’ experiences is a source of solace and inspiration, of hope.

• Hi Fifinet!

It's `The Scottish Person` here. Hope you are well considering. Well you are further down the line than I am. I am just coming up for a year since Jay passed (23rd June) and as you say where has the time gone?? For me at times though it just feels that time has stood still. I have managed to get through a lot of `firsts` without him and I think I only have one more to go and that will be our wedding anniversary on the 21st June he just managed to hold on for that then passed two days later so I plan that weekend as we say in Glasgow to have a `wee swally` to myself and raise a glass to him. Yes the Glasgow patter nothing like it! Jay would just say something daft or just look at me in a certain way and that would be it I'd be in knots laughing and then try and get my breath back and he would say something else and I'd be off again and that's what I miss. We used to just rip the p**s out of each other we were never really all `lovely dovey` just liked taking the rise out of each other but all in good fun and that's how we rolled. Yes for all the years we were married we still held hand as well walking along the road and I miss that too. So much I miss. Take Care. 

Vicky xx

• Thank you Vicky !

A wee swally made me laugh . Yes, don't we miss that humour ?

I have had bronchitis, still unwell to cap everything. Feel very low but tomorrow is another day. Keep your pecker up, as my mum used to say.

All the best Scottish person.

Hugs

Fifinet 
    As Voltaire, the French writer said " I am going to be happy because it is good for my health "
  • Hi Fifinet,

The Two Year Club, it's hard to believe. 

So many parallels, just different locations.

In a nutshell, you have said it all - 'A kiss is what I miss.' I'd add a hug too.

Take care,

WDJ

• Thanks for that. Hugs and more hugs, you are right.

Let's see what today brings ?

Did a little tribute on my blog about Barry. www.glasgowwestend.co.uk France Profonde.

Take care 

Hugs 

Fifinet 
    As Voltaire, the French writer said " I am going to be happy because it is good for my health "