Continued Struggles Alone

• 8 replies
  • 29 subscribers

In ways, I hesitate to post.  It the same difficulties, the same painful feelings … granted, I am not alone in my struggles as such.  I do not, however, have any local support, no friends, no family.  I have never cried so much in my memory.  Nonetheless, I am managing; I am coping.  I am moderately productive.  The mess around here is daunting … so much to sort through, organise, and clean.  I start to go through drawers … where do I put all this stuff; how can I organise it.  Our house is small with limited storage space.  Then beyond that worry, there are so many other things I need to tackle.

Yesterday, for the first time, I walked about a half mile to a nearby woods.  I actually took my binoculars with me (and I should have worn my wellie boots too, even though it’s been mostly dry for a number of days).  I was in tears when I entered the woods - so quiet, so peaceful.  I definitely should make more time to do things like that.

To my surprise, my supposed “friend” texted me, asking how I was doing.  I responded 30 minutes later yesterday morning.  Absolutely nothing … why bother, not that I wrote extensively.  I did, in turn, as about her and her husband.  Why text me if she isn’t able to carry on a conversation.  It seems to me that historically the conversations are usually one-sided.  She does, however, have lots of family, other friends, lots of responsibilities around house and garden.  I cannot expect others to be something they aren’t, to say what I need to hear.  If that is all she can manage at this time, then so be it.  I do, however, find it disappointing.

Oh well, I need to carry on … keep busy, get distracted.

• Hello Wildbird 

Been meaning to write back to you, as you replied so kindly to me. Yes, the sorting out of things is a big one too for me. Two years later, well there is still a lot to do ! It will get done, I say now, as and when.What is the most important right now for you ? I imagine just getting through the day is enough ? Keep it small. Simple and do a nice treat for yourself too.

I am sorry you haven't got anyone close by and no family. We do learn to be quite resourceful ! Last week I had a huge powercut. Just when I had run out of bottled gas too ! Rural France.I managed to check and replace fuses, but still not working. Who to ask ? A friend, who happens to be an electrician !! He found the problem, but took time to go through everything methodically. An old house. 800 years old ! Had no fridge and no cooker for a few days, and felt just like a student again, buying and storing food in the cellar. Cheap meals but still healthy. Whew, but I got through it. We do, we have to, and plus my little cat is my only real companion.

How about that for you ? It really helps, honestly.

Well, today's problem is a technician is coming to check the Internet and phone line, as this keeps cutting too !!

All the very best and one small step at a time.

Hugs 

Fifinet 
    As Voltaire, the French writer said " I am going to be happy because it is good for my health "
  • Hi  

I'm very sorry to read of your current difficulties. Everything must seem daunting and overwhelming. I'm also sorry to read that you don't have much support. The episode with your friend may have increased your feelings of isolation.

The house sorting sounds as though it is necessary but painful to do. It may be worth making a plan and tackling it room by room, with piles for recycle/bin, donate, keep. Have you watched 'Sort your life out' on TV, this will help with your motivation. Bear in mind though that it may be too early or too upsetting for you to have major scale clear outs at the moment. Tidying may be all that's required at this point. It may be distracting you but I've found and experienced myself, that if grief is not experienced fully, it just resurfaces further down the line. Have you thought about grief counselling, your GP may be able to help with this. Or do you have a Maggie's centre near you? They do courses and support groups which may help. There is also the Macmillan helpline, they are very helpful if you need advice or just a chat. This is the link to contact https://www.macmillan.org.uk/about-us/contact-us

The walk in the woods sounds lovely. Walking helps me and keeps me sane. I have incurable cancer myself and on bad days feel that I am just waiting for it to recur. I try to walk 3 times per week but have just finished a challenge so I'm taking it easy to recover.

I hope that I've given you some ideas for ways in which you can self help and self care but it is all baby steps that you need to take. Look after yourself. 

A x

What is a Community Champion?

I am a Macmillan volunteer. 

Macmillan Support Helpline

0808 808 00 00 

7 days a week between 8am -8pm

• Hi Wildbird,

So sorry to read about how your are coping. I am now only weeks away from my husband's first anniversary of his passing on the 23rd June last year. Like you, I sometimes find it hard to get motivated in trying to clearthings/change things. I am at the stage now I feel that people don't want to know how I am they ask, but I just feel they don't seem as interested as they were at the beginning. I have made some small achievements since my husband passed and I have amazed myself that I have been able to do these things I thought I could not be able to do without my husband. I still have the constant empty feeling though even though I try to keep busy or occupied. I don't have a lot of friends and my family is very small ( just my son and his partner and little granddaughter and my older sister who has learning difficulties and for whom I am carer). The counselling thing I would give a go. I got six free counselling sessions with Marie Curie by telephone organised here through MacMillan. Just having someone phone you once a week to check in how you are was a godsend. I also reached out to other sources. I was a bit `desperate` when my husband was going through his treatment and it got to the stage that if he wasn't going to be here then I didn't want to be either but I got in contact with the text service SHOUT and they helped by letting me see that I had people I needed to be here for. I also contacted the CALM website and then there is NHS24 I had some counselling with them too. These are sources you could reach out to if you feel you ever need to and then of course keeping coming here helps I feel as we all get what each other is going through. My best wishes to you moving forward. 

Vicky x

• Fifinet,

Thank you so much for your response and kind words.  You are right in that we do learn to be resourceful, especially in the face of serious challenges.  For you, it seems you have some inconvenient challenges in your rural setting; however, it also sounds like a very peaceful environment.

I continue to keep busy, yet I do take time to do things I like to do.  I also realise there are times I have to slow down, relax, think about my breathing … a short period of “meditation” to keep me sane, to help me feel a little more in balance, accepting I am in a difficult time, but there is only so much I can do.

There is an appeal to having a pet; however, I don’t think now would be the right time for me.

Warm regards, lots of hugs,

WildBird

• Sistermoon,

Thanks for your kind reply.  Truly I appreciate the time and thought you put into your response.  Your challenges, a bit different from mine, are daunting.  It takes a lot of strength on your part to keep going in the face of having a dismal prognosis.  Walking is good … weather permitting.  We are back to lots of rain showers and plenty of muddy walks in woods.

I’ve heard of Maggie’s Centre; I have yet to contact them.  I did contact Cruse and then phoned a closer Cruse Centre once they gave me a number.  I left message as directed; now I have to wait to hear from them, that I am on some waiting list for six telephone meetings.  From your description, it seems that Maggie’s Centre does the same thing.  

I have contacted Macmillan support quite a few times, and I expect I will some more.  I have also heard about the “buddies” but I don’t know much about it yet.

Thank you for your message with a number of suggestions.

Love and hugs,

WildBird

• Vicky,

Thanks for your message.  I read with interest and with empathy.  You are further along the “path” than I, but your have managed and persevered.  You discovered you can do things without your husband.  That is indeed a challenge for me, though in ways a had a little preparation for it in the previous year and a half when he started to struggle more and I had to manage a lot more for us.  Now being truly alone, I struggle with feelings of loneliness and isolation.

I did in fact have further contact with my supposed “friend.”  No longer is she that.  When I questions her, she told me it wasn’t even worth the effort to talk, that all I ever think of is myself.  Truly I was shocked and distressed.  It’s a sad situation, but for whatever reasons, it’s a relationship that failed.

Another friend told me to try website app for Headspace.  Free trial … it offers some interesting and helpful options.  So there are numerous options available.  Now it is finding the time to find the right one or ones .

I just had Salvation Army stop by to pick up *numerous* bags of stuff that needed to be moved, that somebody else could find useful … so that was a bit of helpful clearing.

Thanks again for replying.  Hearing from you and other, as well as reading others’ experiences, has been so helpful!

Love, hugs, and continued strength,

WildBird

• Hiya,

Despite your pain, it’s good that you got out for a while, even without your wellies! Sometimes that bit of solitude in a familiar place is just what you need. I wish I could say something meaningful to you, but life is crap, as we all know. 

True friends show themselves at times like this, I’m amazed at how some people have reacted to my situation, and not always in a good way. My wife was my best friend, and like you, we did so much together that I miss dearly. I’m now finding that travelling alone to be with my thoughts, and memories is the way forward for me…..I want to feel like she’s with me everywhere I go. 

Tried going away to my wife’s favourite camp site on Saturday, should have been for 4 nights, I lasted one then came home. I did however manage to scatter a small amount of ashes as that was one of the three places she asked me to do so, but being there without her was just too much. I’m away this weekend coming to start my North Coast 500 adventure, I’m hoping I’ll feel differently as we’ve never done that, although it was on her bucket list……it’s going to take a fair few years to work my way through it!! 

Anyway, must sign off for now, got lots of trip planning to do. I’m terrified of the future, absolutely terrified, so it’s one day at a time and see what happens.

Much love to you HeartPray

• Neofire!  Thank you for your kind words.  I find it so helpful to hear from you.  My heart aches for you and with you.  I hear and understand your words and your struggles.  Just yesterday was my husband’s funeral.  What an emotional time, though it was very simple, short,  and sweet.  Perfect, the way he wanted it to be.  When the pallbearers lowered his coffin into the grave, a European Robin started singing.  Also at the very end, when it was my turn to return to the grave to say my final goodbye (after his sons had their time), a European Robin led me down the path to his grave.  

In a way, I felt a bit calmer after the funeral; however, last night I just fell apart again.  I cannot sleep, and I cry a lot.  I feel so lost and empty, not sure what I’ll do or how I’ll cope.  Yes, I know, take things slowly, step at a time.  I will get out as much as possible for walks and birding and nature … though it is so difficult not having him with me.

Like you, you planned four day at that site and managed one night.  I have found that I go out birding someplace, and I don’t last all that long without him.

Unknown future, lots to figure out, need to see how I am going to manage in so many basic ways. 

Thanks for writing!  Heartpulse