In a Lonely and Despondent Place

• 14 replies
  • 28 subscribers

I‘ve posted before.  I‘m not sure I should post again; however, I am having extremely difficult times.  Further, I am truly alone.  My husband died just over two weeks ago.  He was not particularly close to his grown sons.  The youngest I‘ve had the most interaction with over the years, but there is a lot of family drama and anger.  I do not trust or feel comfortable around the sons; nor, have they made any effort to get to know me or make much, if any, contact post death of my husband.  The youngest one accused me of awful things 12 hours after his father died, calling me a liar … drama, leaving me hysterical,

I have no friends, a few acquaintances.  I had one I thought was a friend, but she has been able to offer no support.  She doesn‘t even respond to my text messages … sort of difficult for me to take at this time.  I‘ve have minimal contact with neighbours.  My next door one gave me a hug yesterday when I mentioned how whatever support I have is through computer or on phone.  All my family, small it may be, is in the US.  I have some scattered friends/acquaintances.  

I had hip replacement surgery coming up on four weeks ago.  Recovery is going well enough, but I am so stressed and tired, often over doing it.  I have no help around the house or garden.  I am limited in what movements and bending I do.  It‘s hard for me to make time to rest, as ideally I should.  I am having so much difficulty with sad and depressed feelings, often breaking into tears (alone).  I‘ve reached out to various support groups; sadly there is only so much they can offer.  Ultimately I am on my own and must work through this process alone … sort of a bitter reality.

I‘m not sure if typing this is „“helping“ me, but I don‘t know what else to do.

WildBird

• Thanks again, PTP.   I have re-read your post as I sit here trying to take on today‘s challenges.  You are so right.  I avoid contact with family, husband‘s sons, that is.  Youngest has key to house … no longer.  I reported the incident to a police officer, who happened to stop by my house the next day on a totally unrelated incident in neighborhood.  As I had planned, he advised me to change locks.  Within hour of his visit, I had new lock in front door.  Other doors (older, with different lock mechanisms) were checked and affirmed secure.  As needed, I do pass on relevant information regarding funeral to sons.  (The funeral now scheduled for 11 June, 32 days post death!!!  Seems a very long time, though nothing seems to happen very quickly in the post death matters.  Neighbors are nice, but support is limited.  Everyone is wrapped up in their own lives … I understand and relate.  I cannot expect others to be the support I want and need, for others to be something they aren‘t.  I have contacted GP.  Doctor wants blood test, scheduled for Wednesday.  Then we‘ll talk further ….

Again, thank you for your support and messages.  It does help, even if it takes me several reads to fully appreciate the suggestions and act upon them.

• Yes, PTP, I used the Tell Us Once service as soon as I registered husband‘s death.  As advised I contacted bank next.  I have done another pension.  Initially less than a day post death, I contacted military, something my husband stressed I needed to do immediately upon death.  I talked with solicitor regarding will,  They have original.  As you say, probable process can wait … so rush on that.  Now I feel a bit overwhelmed with the more post, more forms requiring more documentation. Nothing I can start until tomorrow, first business day after receiving letters.

• HI Jane,

Thanks for asking.  I am doing alright at the moment.  Last night presented some difficult times.  I woke suddenly around midnight, feeling absolute urgency to talk with someone.  I ended up talking/chatting with ex-husband/best friend in US (advantage of different time zones).  Seemingly I must have been having nightmare, though at that time no night sweats.  Later though, at around 03:00, I awoke soaking wet!  So much for my clean linens!  I cleaned up a bit, got back to bed and slept for another 3-4 hours before getting up.  I am about to brave making phone contact with Macmillan to explore issues that you and PTP have suggested.

• Dipsy, (drafted auto correct took me several times to get your screen name correct!)

Thank you for your suggestion.  I have taken note of the site and will in due course check it out and register.  Thanks again.