The awful grief we share

• 3 replies
  • 32 subscribers

Hello everyone

Been reading all the posts and I am thinking how glad I am to have found this forum. I was first on it 5 years ago, on the Carers forum. Then it was a very different story for me. Living in a foreign country and trying to look after Barry who had throat Cancer. Very scary times. I was exhausted from nights woken up with him screaming in pain and not being able to comfort him. Several times he said he wanted to end it and feared he would take an overdose of morphine. He also suffered with leg ulcers which needed daily care with the nurses. This went on for several years. When he did go back into hospital he always came back worse with neglected bed sores. 

Anyway, now, nearly two years since he died, I am finally coming through the dark tunnel. My recent facial rash reoccurred which lead me into a horrible lonely state. This time I reacted badly to Nivea cream which I had always used. Not now. Thrown away a lot of creams into the bon ! I was wondering this ?

How the body reacts when you are suffering from grief . As it is with me, anger at being alone now. 

Going through guilt, fear of the future, physical aches and pains and overall lethargy.

Time is the only healer I suspect, and even then.

Day by day is still my motto. That and the ONION. I am peeling off another layer. Literally, as my face is peeling !! 

I wish you the best possible weekend wherever you are.

Hugs are always there.

• Into the bin not the bon ! 

Fifinet 
    As Voltaire, the French writer said " I am going to be happy because it is good for my health "
  • Hi Fifinet

I'm so sorry that you had such a terrible time looking after Barry with him being in so much pain.  I didn't experience that with Nic, but went with him through all the operations and endless pointless and ineffectual chemo.  It was awful to get the results of post chemo scans only to find that it hadn't worked again, until we eventually got the inevitable terminal diagnosis.  It was only weeks after that that he died.  What terrible times that all of us on here have gone through alongside our loved ones.  It's no wonder that our bodies have reacted so badly to it all.

Like you, I felt that I was coming through the fog of grief after about two years, but it never goes away. The physical side of it is lingering with me too.  My body aches all the time and the problem I had with my knees after my dad suddenly died from cancer 9 years ago has recently resurfaced.  Not to mention lack of energy and brain fog.

Still, we go on.  I went back to work last week, very part time, as I felt I needed some focus and routine.  I instantly regretted it, but will stick it out for now.

Day by day is the way to go.  As is accepting that some will be good and some bad and just going with how we feel each day.

Hugs and best wishes to you all.

• Hello 

Thank you for your lovely reply. How well people understand here, and "get" it. So reassuring.

You said you went back to work ? Instantly regretting it too. Again time and with a focus it may well help. I know I need to have a focus if not we are going to slip into something awful again with depression. I teach English lessons and basic French for English people, and that forces me to get out and meet people plus exercises the brain ! I also write a monthly blog called Fifi's stories from rural France which I have been doing for a number of years now. I really enjoy researching stories to write about and also taking photos for it. I have Barry's cameras, so it continues with him all the time. He was a photo journalist all over the world. How I miss him. To talk to. He was so interesting. How we wish they were still here. But not in pain.

Happy memories.

Hugs 

Fifinet 
    As Voltaire, the French writer said " I am going to be happy because it is good for my health "