How do I start again?

• 21 replies
  • 32 subscribers

I lost my darling wife Sheila on 13th February 2023, 18 months since initially being diagnosed with Stage 2 Her2+ Breast Cancer. We'd been married 24+ years and together for 32+ years.

All was good after Chemo, Surgery and RT as she was recovering really well, then last Autumn we again noticed something wasn't right and she was diagnosed with two brain metastases which came as a huge shock. She had Stereotactic RT followed by three weekly Kadcyla treatments and again everything seemed to be going well and the most recent scans showed lesion shrinkage. 

Then out of the blue, something happened, she had a bleed in one of the lesions and MRI showed cancer had spread, and within 2 weeks she passed away. I knew last year after the secondary diagnosis what the likely prognosis could be, but I'm absolutely floored how swift and brutal it was in the end.

Sheila was 59, I'm 55 and we have one son aged 23 in his final year of Uni.

The last week has been a whirlwind, we're in Northern Ireland so things happen pretty quickly here so the funeral was last Friday, but now everyone has gone home, my phone isn't ringing as much and I'm at home, where do I start?

I've been in contact with various organisations for support and have friends close by, but my mind cant help thinking is that me now aged 55 and a widower!

Colin x

• Hi Colin, know how you feel about the struggling getting up in the morning.  I do have a dog that makes me get up & get out for walks.

It is hard cooking for one, so I do batch cooking & freeze it. Then I know I have food already cooked in the freezer. It something I did a lot when Paul was ill. 

Take care, Sending big hugs

Jodie97

Sending big hugs to you all