My 1st Xmas alone too

• 36 replies
  • 36 subscribers

As we know this site offers much strength. Each word given by others with special memory is comforting. This is also my first Xmas without my wife of nearly 55 years who passed in August from lung cancer. It was painful and I owe so much to the kindness of hospice. My beloved daughter and family have invited me for Xmas Eve and the day which I will go to. But I do not like imposing especially as my son-in-law's parents are so insensitive and dominating. To all of you out there somewhere all our departed loved ones will be looking on .. together. Have a happy Xmas for them. 

• This is a very supportive, safe place I’m finding it helps.

one of the sisters at the hospice Andy & I went to said the pain the Andys soul, deep within my heart! I will take that as comfort he’s still with me (no, I’m not religious, but certainly more in touch with spirituality lately)

I guess grief is the price we pay for deep, meaningful love Heart️ 

xxx

• It's so hard.  This is helping already. I agree about grief x if I could stop crying so much that will help. Even reading this I am in tears . I am assured it will get easier 

I can't live in the marital home anymore Cry so have a flat. Don't know what's worse . Because I am living on my own. I was unable to have children because my late husband 40 years ago suffered leukaemia.  He has children though 

• Take it baby steps, hour by your lovely. 
    I’m not leaving our dream home, even though it’s very rural in west wales, our island, our little world we called it. We don’t have children either, it’s so hard.

you have so much to deal with, I hope you have support or at least contact the Macmillan team for help - gives me strength knowing they are their, even the counselling support.

worth asking, if you haven’t already xxx

• Reflecting on this week, so far, it's been one of the worst for just feeling a little fed up.

Is it the time of year, the dark nights, having no-one to talk to in the house, Christmas alone, the weather, etc? Is it just the rollercoaster and it's currently going down that steep slope? I just don't know. I forced myself to switch the tree lights on tonight having only put it up yesterday. Did I feel anything? Not really.

It's just been a lonely week really. Nothing less than that. I've done some stuff but it's been a bit 'numb' for most of it. 

Tomorrow is another day!

Take care,

WDJ

• Hi WJD

i feel exactly the same…. And the reality we’ll never share another Christmas with them

no banter no conversation nothing

it hurts pal ….. share on here we are all feeling the same

numb alone hurting miserable( totally expected I might add)

basically just shit!

sending big hugs to all

xx

• Hello 

Just wanted to say hello and understand how you are feeling.The pain and dreadful loss is quite something, that no one fully understands until it has happened to you.

I lost my husband 7 months ago, and am really struggling to come to terms with it. Each day brings up something else to deal with, or not as the case may be. A horrible time of the year anyway, with all this forced jollity which I hate.

Even more this year. I did write cards but with just my name which was very hard. A few decorations are going up but keeping it all simple. A quiet meal on my own, shutters closed and the wood fire on with a little cat to keep me company. I might get through it, with some wine!

We will keep in touch here on the forum which is a comfort.

Hugs 

Fifinet 
    As Voltaire, the French writer said " I am going to be happy because it is good for my health "
  • I feel the same . I am so lonely in a flat on my own. No-one to talk to. I also feel I will never feel any different.  I am not doing Christmas.  I just can't.  My flat looks as empty as I feel. I am here for you. Please keep messaging 

Love Kate 

• Take care. I am so lonely.  Don't know what to do 

• Hello 

I know you are lonely. Me too. Especially, as others have said here, at this time. It's freezing here. Even though it is the SW France! 

Hope you have persued this Macmillan site for more help and on the phone too? 

Thinking of you 

Hugs 

Fifinet 
    As Voltaire, the French writer said " I am going to be happy because it is good for my health "