My 1st Xmas alone too

• 36 replies
  • 36 subscribers

As we know this site offers much strength. Each word given by others with special memory is comforting. This is also my first Xmas without my wife of nearly 55 years who passed in August from lung cancer. It was painful and I owe so much to the kindness of hospice. My beloved daughter and family have invited me for Xmas Eve and the day which I will go to. But I do not like imposing especially as my son-in-law's parents are so insensitive and dominating. To all of you out there somewhere all our departed loved ones will be looking on .. together. Have a happy Xmas for them. 

• Hi, it's a horrible time of year isn't it? Last Christmas was my first without Nic and 9 months into the journey.  I spent the day alone, by choice, and it was awful.

This year I am on my own again and am looking forward to it.  I'm going to do the whole Christmas lunch despite never having cooked a complete dinner before as Nic was the chef in the family.  We'll see how it turns out!! 

I've put some lights up outside in Nic's memory as he loved all the glitzy Christmas things and I'm glad that I've done it.  I'm going to honour all of his family traditions - morning champagne after walking my dog, watch dodgy Christmas films and making the most of it.

Best wishes.

Felicity

• My heart is with you. I also am spending Christmas on my own with my blinds closed. Xx thinking of you

Kate 

• Hi All

really bad day today tear's just flowed 

harsh reality Christmas is for loved ones and ours aren’t here

thinking of you all

xx

• Bess,,

It's just not easy. Everywhere we go there is the music, the decorations and the " it's the most wonderful time of the year" crap.

I had a good friend offer me to come to theirs for Christmas. They meant nothing but a kind gesture but, even then, I thought you just don't get it. I've said no to all of the family who, in fairness, do get it - even the 'kids'.

Stay as strong as we can. It's going to be a tough couple of weeks. Not that the last days/ weeks/months haven't been.

Take care,

WDJ 

• Its 2 weeks since my Darling Husbands funeral. I’m on my own now, I have a best friend and a kind neighbour who have both asked me over for Christmas Day but I want to be alone so I can think of him. I’m really struggling and this time of year is making it worse. Hugs to everyone in this horrible situation of 1st Christmas without our loved one. 

• Completely understand I feel the same 

• Hugs back to you and everyone.  So hard my first Christmas too

• Hi, it is comforting to read all your messages. My wife died in July from a Glioblastoma and this will be the first Christmas our 13 and 15 year old boys and I will be celebrating Christmas on our own.

We have no family where we live so it will be just us three. I bought a new Christmas tree, could not face usig the one we have always had and put up some decorations. Kind people have invited us to their place, but we did not want to go.  We feel that would be even more hard having to also put on a brave face

I am dreading Christmas day. This will be so hard and my heart breaks for our two boys who have to have Christmas without their muj

• My husband had Glioblastoma too. We will get through Christmas somehow. Hugs to you and boys