Don’t know what to do for best

• 2 replies
  • 27 subscribers

Today has been a bit of an odd day.  Some of you will know that my in-laws had nothing to do with me, Rob and my daughter for about 4 years but were there when he was ill and died.  They promised him that they would treat my daughter as a grand daughter and no longer ignore her. They kept telling me how much they loved me and missed me. 

Sadly i have heard  nothing from them since the funeral Sept 2021. My daughter used to text her nan every month, she didn’t always get a reply and when she did she never asked her how she was doing and never seemed interested in her life.

Tbh it’s been a nightmare as I felt so sad that my daughter has had to go through her dad dying when she was 22 and then her grandparents and aunts didn’t want to know.

This morning she got a call from her cousin to say her nan died yesterday of a heart attack. My daughter rang me in tears, saying she felt guilty that she hadn’t seen her since the funeral.  All I could say to her was not to feel guilty, it’s a 2 way thing and read the texts to her nan.

I feel bad that I don’t feel sad she’s passed away but I keep thinking we could  have had a relationship but they didn’t want to know us.

I just don’t want my daughter to have a relapse, she’s done so well since her dad died.

Thoughts anyone?

Chekseabluegirl 

• Hi Chelseabluegirl,

I really feel for you. After losing your husband and your daughter her father you would just hope for unconditional support from friends and family 

It's very sad for your daughter, and understand the best you can do is make her know how much she was loved by her father and by yourself and all the family who were in contact up til now. You are the ones who count. 

Life passes by so quickly, may be Nan was ill and didn't get round to replying to your daughter. Or thought she would later. Who knows.. 

• Chelseabluegirl,

For what my comments are worth, I feel the concern is not for you and your daughter but those who chose not to contact you and her.

Your situation is somewhat different even before Rob's passing but, from our time on this forum, it seems common that not just 'friends' but relatives seem to 'disappear' from our lives even in these circumstances. I too have not heard from some 'senior' relatives since the funeral and just don't understand why. In-laws too I have found to be somewhat distant.

You are right, there could have been a relationship. That does not however seem to be because of your doing, rather it's theirs. You can only support your daughter again as need be, which is what you will do,

Take care of yourselves.

WDJ