One year on and still feeling so alone

• 4 replies
  • 27 subscribers

It was one year yesterday since my Lin succumbed to this cruel disease, and I still feel so alone even though I have close family nearby plus friends I see every one to two weeks. Although the pain hasn't gone I do feel I have learnt to cope better with my feelings of grief. I know we can't turn the clock back but I would give anything to feel her arms around me once more. My daughter suggested we did something together yesterday, so we both went to the zoo which did help lessen my thoughts being preoccupied with last year. It was still such a tough day though.

I have house projects on the go which we had both planned to do when I retired last year, so I am carrying on with that because I feel she would have wanted me to do so. But it is so hard without her beside me discussing things and making decisions on decor etc. My bereavement counselling will be ending after Christmas and I don't know how I will be without that. Hopefully I can move forward without it. Christmas, it will never be the same again but I do have grandchildren who will be one of my main focuses for the holiday period.

One thing that has helped with this anniversary is that I have made donations to cancer related charities that were of help to Lin battling the disease for 14 years, and I find that makes feel a little better knowing that I am hopefully contributing to being able to help other people in their fight with this awful disease.

I just have to hope that I will continue to be able to cope better and better without her, but it is so, so hard.

Stay strong everyone,

Derek

This is a poem I wrote to LIn before we were married and had printed on the funeral order of service. It still sums up how I feel about her.

When I waken,
I breathe lipstick-kissed air.
When I wash,
I feel skin-soft water.
When I eat,
I taste scented smile.
When I drink,
I swallow silk-smooth tears.
When I sleep,
I see you forever in my dreams.

• Those are lovely words. My heart goes out to you Delboy. I lost my husband almost 7 months ago after a 1 year Fight with Pancreatic Cancer & it’s so hard to live without them isn’t it? I find making decisions on my own very difficult so I know what you mean about choosing decor. I’m sure your wife would be very proud of you carrying on with the diy jobs you had planned together. You need to see them through. I’m trying to do the same. I’m sure I can hear him saying you’ve missed a bit when I’m painting lol. Take good care of yourself & hope you can enjoy a little happiness over Christmas with your grandchildren.

Take care x

• Thank you, Pinky, for your kind words. so sorry you are part of this group. It is so hard without our loved ones at our sides. I went to the bereavement café today which I find very supportive and comforting. We all chat about how we are, or have been, feeling and sometimes we shed a tear or two. If there is one in your area I would highly recommend going, but only when you feel ready to do so.

You take care too.

Derek

• DelBoy55,

Your comments are very true to my own circumstances.

Donations to, particularly, cancer charities are something that is very dear to my heart now. We always gave some contributions but now they have so much more meaning to me, although other family members have succumbed to this awful disease. 

Family members are always concerned about me and I try my best.

What I really struggle with is the lack of conversation and the "Is this the right thing to do?" type conversations. Often I would come up with an idea and be told either: "maybe", "yes", or "are you joking?" type responses. These are what I miss most, not being able to 'bounce' off one another.

I described to a family member recently that I don't feel lonely, I live in another part of UK from everyone else, but I am very much alone. I think that will make some sense on here.

Take care,

WDJ

• WDJ,

You are so right to differentiate between being lonely and alone, I totally get that, that's just how I feel. I'm lucky that my children, their partners and grandchildren are quite local to me so I do see them weekly. Not sure how I would be without that regular contact. FaceTime just isn't the same as meeting up.

Stay strong,

Derek