New here... my lovely husband has just passed away :(

• 2 replies
  • 26 subscribers

Someone told me about this forum today, so thought I would take a look in and say hello.

My husband died on 1 Oct, less than two weeks ago from oesophageal cancer. He was only 54 and I'm younger at 45. 

It's just so sad that he got cancer and now has gone. I miss him so much. The things I find hardest at the moment are quiet evenings at home and also making decisions about anything. He was so fantastic and supportive in life. I just wish he was here with me to enjoy his early retirement.

I am fortunate that I am a member of a running club and history group so have lots of friends that I have been meeting up with and my family.

The whole thing is so surreal and so terribly sad. 

• Hello WW2 girl.

I'm so sorry you have had to join us and on the loss of your husband. 

Everything is so difficult when you are missing the other half of you. I'm glad to read you have friends and support, it will help you.

I just wanted to respond and say I hope you will find this site useful. My husband died in 2018 and was 49 so I'm further on but I still dip in and out, in the beginning this was the only place I could speak freely with people who understood. 

Take care of yourself 

• Ruby diamond x
  • I’m so sorry that you have found yourself in this club that none of us want to be in. You’ll probably find as you go on that you’ll go though lots of emotions and you’ll feel like no one (outside of this club) gets it. I don’t think anyone can unless they’ve lost a partner. So anytime you need some love and support , or just  a rant come on here where there is always someone to listen. We do get it! I’m a year down the line and I still need this group. It really helps. 
    I’m struggling with the darker nights now it means longer evenings at home alone. And I totally agree about making decisions on your own. I’ve had to finally give in and buy a new sofa (tough because the one I have still has a mark in the leather where Daves head used to rest) but I have found it unbelievably hard to actually place the order. It’s so hard not having someone to share the responsibility with.  
    Take care 

Jillian x