How do others cope ?

• 3 replies
  • 32 subscribers

Hello I lost my husband to cancer in March and I just can't believe it has happened .. he was diagnosed with bowel cancer in 2020 but had chemo and was recovering well, then before Christmas 2021  he became unwell  and in January and was given 6-8weeks to live .. I am just so lost without him and think I'm just feeling very sorry for myself. I do have support from family and friends but although they are a comfort the sadness and despair I feel is overwhelming  I am sure there are others who feel as i do how do you cope?

• Hi MrsStarlight. I’m so sorry you are going through this too. I also lost my husband to cancer in March. I have to say the last few days have been really bad for me. I’m not sure why. Perhaps the hot weather has reminded me of when we first got together during a very hot summer. It doesn’t seem real that I will never touch or hear him again. I also feel very sorry for myself and do wonder what the future holds. Our children seemed to have ‘ moved on’ I’m sure they’re still mourning their Dad but coping better than me. He was diagnosed 4 1/2 years ago but even though we knew what the outcome would be it still feels unbelievable. I miss him desperately. This group has helped me feel I’m not alone in my feelings but it’s still hard to take x

• Thank you for your reply Carpetbagger..  I also wonder what the future holds.. I am unsure what to do with myself coming into the winter and the long dark nights ... I do go out during day but its the empty house that I'm finding hard to cope with it's so quiet the dog is company but not much conversation from him .... I had taken early retirement  last year as we thought he was doing OK and had so many plans to travel more etc. When first diagnosed he was given 5yrs ...he only got 15months .  the kids are all away from home with their own families to look after they all miss their dad.. 

• I do understand about the empty house. My dog doesn’t have a lot to say for herself either. I gave up work 2 years ago to look after my husband. I have 2 years left before I can retire so was forced to go back to work 2 months after he died. I dreaded it but everyone told me it would do me good. I only do 16 hours a week but coming home to an empty house is awful. I miss his cheery’ hello, how was your day’ Even when I’m at work if something crops up I still think ‘oh I must tell him that when I get home’ then it hits me again. The thought of long winter nights on my own break my heart. Xx