Overwhelming sadness

• 13 replies
  • 29 subscribers

Only 7 days till the first anniversary of my Linda passing, was thinking it’s less anxiety and depression now, it’s just Total overwhelming sadness Cold sweat. I am having online CBT therapy, was suggested that during the day when I have sad thoughts of Linda, triggered by a plethora of everyday things, I write them down, and at a set time each day, I face these emotions, think it’s meant to help manage my emotions during the day, by knowing I have a specific time to face them. So far I am not doing exactly this, but yesterday at 3pm I gave myself time to talk to Linda, tell her how I feel, talk about our life together, made me cry, but felt good, going to try this again at 3pm, so will try not to get emotionally upset during the day, but save it for 3pm. No idea if long term this will help, but need try something, just feel sad pretty much all day, always on the verge of tears.

Hopefully my eldest Son will take me to the Cemetery on the 17th, he doesn’t feel the need, but, I do, emotionally and also practically to check everything is tidy, Linda hated things being out of place our untidy.

thank you for listening 

• I agree.  I've given away some of Nic's clothes bit by bit over the last 17 months, and finally gave most of the rest away a month ago.  I had sorted them out and they were downstairs for ages before I could do it. I now have his suits left and will deal with them soon as I'm not so emotionally attached to them as he rarely wore them.  The clothes are such emotional things to deal with.  I have kept, and wear, some of Nic's t-shirts, trackies and hoodies which I find a comfort.  

We have to do these things when it feels right  not because we should, and there is no pressure to do it.

Best wishes.

• Hi ArthurD, the bereavement café I go to is run by a local hospice near to me, so check out your local hospice website to see if they do it. The one I go to is not run by the hospice my Lin was under, and they are OK with that as they welcome anyone who has been bereaved in their area. They run a number of different bereavement cafés in local towns and villages. I find it quite helpful as you meet other bereaved people and you say how you are feeling and talk about who you have lost and what you went through, as well as just having a chat.

Regarding clothes, I have kept special items like her wedding dress, dresses and shoes she wore to our children's weddings, that sort of thing. I have also kept a bottle of her perfume as the smell is somehow comforting, it reminds me of when we hugged. I have a lot to do with the house so I do need to go through her things to make it easier to get things done.

Big week this week with our wedding anniversary on Thursday. Don't know how I am going to get through that day. I will go to her and our son's grave and put some roses there and have a chat. I often go up there and have a little talk.

I would wholeheartedly recommend counselling, I have found it very helpful. I would say to anyone on here to give it a go but if it doesn't work out it doesn't matter, you just have to do what feels right for you.

Take care,

Derek

• Thanks Derek will make enquiries, 

keep safe

Sweat Linda You are my best memory, You are all of my best memories