Can't sleep

• 54 replies
  • 34 subscribers

I haven't posted for a while, my wife of 38 years aged 61 died on Aug 24th from Oesphageal cancer. She went through so much pain in her last year and it's that suffering I dwell on. She died at home and I feel my brain is still on a loop thinking about the day she was told she had stage 4 cancer, the chemo, the sickness and death. I wanted to get Christmas over,  and I thought I might feel better with it behind me but now I fear the New Year. I'm just siting here in silence at 3:20 in the morning thinking sad thoughts, life can be so brutal. I've had to go back to work but I can't motivate myself. My colleagues are kind but they treat it and compare it to the end of a relationship and I cannot explain to them the pain and loss of losing a life partner. I know I will be forever sad, I guess the pain will diminish but with each passing day I feal I'm drifting away from Lorraine and I don't want to. I guess the problem with this group is that there are no answers, we are all in the same boat. I just felt the need to post this to relieve some of the pain. Thanks for listening.

Steve

• So sorry Steve, you must be feeling so lost right now. 

I know it's not the same but I lost my 15 year old dif to cancer yesterday, I am absolutely devastated,  the worst thing is the emptiness in the house, the waking up and reliving everything.

I hope you can take peace in knowing that your wife will be with you in spirit always. 

Cancer well and truly sucks. 

• 15 year old dog it was meant to say 

• Hi Steve, I lost my husband 11 weeks ago tomorrow, the events of the last 24 hours of his life, I constantly re-play in my head, I’m finding it really hard. I suspect we all go through similar feelings and emotions, just at different times. Maybe, rather than drifting away from Lorraine, your brain is giving you a little break from the pain of loosing her. Be kind to yourself and keep sharing how you feel. 

Big hug Hugging take care……Linda

• Hi Linda,

I'm so sorry for your loss, I look back on Lorraine's year and it was truly shocking. I don't feel I can talk to family and friends because unless they have experienced this disease they don't understand.

I don't know why I thought cancer wouldn't touch us as a family, Lorraine didn't smoke or drink and I always assumed I would go first.

I had to stay strong for Lorraine, I tried to stay positive and not show any weakness which I managed to do but now I feel empty, lost, lonely and above all sad.

I found a journal she had written around the time of diagnosis, I didn't know she had written it. It gives me some comfort as she writes things that she didn't say about her love for me and the children and how I was her 'rock' but she also writes about her fears and pain, I feel close to her when I read it but of course its a tough read. 

I hope you are ok Linda, we are all part of a club we didn't want or expect to be in. Take care of yourself and thanks for responding.

I'm at work now feeling tired and tearful but trying not to show it.

Steve.

• Hi Steve

I can empathise with your thoughts as I keep thinking there is so much I should have said or done differently during Ian’s last few weeks.  He passed away suddenly and unexpectedly only 7 weeks after diagnosis. In fact, I was just about to bring him home from hospital when the ambulance crew advised me not to and he passed away about 45 minutes later.

This was 28 weeks ago but it still feels like yesterday. It’s the cruel loss of Ian’s future that I find so hard to come to terms with. Unless this has happened to you, it is impossible to understand how grief and sadness can overwhelm you and destroy your own future.

You are so right, there are no answers on this site just an acceptance that we are all here for each other for however long it is needed. You won’t forget Lorraine and all she meant to you and I’m sure posting about her on this site will help to keep her memory alive. 

Look after yourself and keep posting,

x Julie

• It’s hard to hide feelings, although I do it all the time, our daughter and granddaughter live with us, so I try to make an effort for a 5 year old girl, who’s already grieving for her favourite playmate. 

Mart had colorectal, he had surgery, permanent stoma and all the various treatments, none worked.  He was also a non smoker, he was a bit of a foodie but extremely fit and was a low handicap golfer. He was so pragmatic, he actually made it easier for me, he  was so strong, wouldn’t accept he wouldn’t live another 10 years, he never talked of any fears he had.
    This year was the hardest, the treatments took their toll. I tried to access every treatment I could, RD&E hospital were probably glad to see the back of me, I challenged the unfair postcode lottery for Avastin, I still haven’t given up as it might help someone else, I just need  more time, battery is somewhat drained.

I mirror you feelings of emptiness, lonely, lost and sad, if it wasn’t for the girls. 

I’m so glad you found her journal, as bittersweet as it must be, you know how much she loved you, although I said it daily, Mart would tell me not to fuss, the day before he passed he was asking the physiotherapist when he could start golfing again, actually remembering that makes me smile and cry, goodness, I had better close. 

You take care Hugging

• Hi Julie, lovely to see your name pop up. I hope you’re ok.

Linda xx

• I found my husband dread. He looked awful. I am a nurse and well used to it but it is different when it is one of your own. 

Sounds silly but I bought an electric blanket, new mattress topper so I was comfortable, soft lightening, always tired when I went to bed and put a favourite photo by my bed so it was a nice thought! It helped.

Love and hugs Alison xxx

• 3am is the worst. The days are so long. I don't wish this on anyone but I'm ashamed to say that at 3am tomorrow 8t will give me a smidgen of comfort knowing others are also awake. I realise it's a very selfish thought. Wish there was a way we could all chat at that time 

Love is eternal
  • Strangely I always woke at 3 am!