Simple things are so difficult and painful

• 13 replies
  • 29 subscribers

Linda was always the first to get the Christmas card string up, as soon as the first Christmas card arrived, she got so excited, I want to feel this way, if only for her, but just can’t manage it, feel I am just going through the motions. We have another string on the other wall for Birthday cards for her, she would never open her Birthday cards till Christmas Day ( Her Birthday) again so excited. I have bought her Christmas and Birthday cards, and hope to find the strength to write them out today. So much I want to say to her.

I can’t put the Birthday card string up, because I assume there would only be my card, and would be too sad.

God it’s so tough. Watched Love Actually yesterday, a film we shared together every single Christmas, lots of tears, but thought of her throughout and remembered the good times we had. She adopted the phrase “just in cases” from the film, and used it often, made me smile.

• Hi Alison,

For the same reason as you I have a dislike for Xmas, after I got married I used the excuse of my shift work to not join in with Xmas, Craig understood me and we had found a way together for me to enjoy the festive season usually abroad in Africa were it is celebrated but in a very understated way. I have had invites from family this year my first without Craig but I have declined and I shall be walking & having a picnic with a close friend who equally dislikes Xmas.

Do what makes you happy would be my advice

Tracey xx

• You are so right, there is a pressure to enjoy Christmas, from social media, advertising & even friends. But viewing it as just another day, is the safest way, that’s how I plan to face it. Will hopefully be at my eldest sons on Christmas Day, just me him and his 2 grown up kids, should be a good day. Need to treat the other festive days the same way.

Sweat Linda You are my best memory, You are all of my best memories

• So you're the one who flagged it! I was confused when I saw yesterday that the thread was temporarily unavailable.

Yes I think Christmas is a difficult period for a lot of people, grieving or not, because of the social pressure. The ads on television don't help.

I try to think of it as a time to retreat with my daughters, and actually trying to embrace a bit the stillness for a minute while everybody is busy. Not always easy not to be lonely but it's all part of the process.

Going back to what you were saying earlier about the difference of griefs of a soulmate vs a brother or a sister or a parent, etc. We can't really compare, especially because as this forum shows we all have different stories and different ways to react to our loss.

I have found that while I was focusing on my daughters' mental health, people told me a lot "they'll be fine, I've gone through the same thing" or "I know someone close to me who lost a parent very young too", usually followed by a "take care of yourself too, that's something else", and it was almost worrying for me!

At the time I found that for them, losing a parent when you have 2 meant that life would go on still, because the other parent is still there. For me, there was no other partner and so much loneliness as a result.

Then I met someone fantastic (didn't work out in the end, too early) and I realised that I could potentially one day maybe rebuild a new life for myself with someone else to love, while my daughters would never be able to replace their Mum.

So yeah, no ranking of grief possible!

Take care xx

Antoine