Making sense of it all.

• 17 replies
  • 29 subscribers

Hi Everyone,

My husband of 48 years died in August from a GBM grade 4 brain tumour. He had been diagnosed just over a year before. Previous to that he had been a healthy 69 year old.

We still had plans to go on more holidays and just enjoy our retirement, but that wasn't to be. All the way through his illness I tried not to think of what 'might have been' or I would have driven myself mad. I feel I should be grateful for the many years we had together and the fact that we have two grown up daughters and two lovely grandchildren. I sometimes don't though, just feel a bit jealous when I see Grandads with their grandchildren, out on a walk or whatever. Is this normal? Is there a normal grieving process? Some days I think I am too 'cheerful' and that people must think I don't care. I do, deeply, but I still have my life to get on with. I do wonder if it will all come crashing down on me, because I realise this is forever, not just for a while.

Sorry if I'm rambling, but when I have read other people's posts, I wonder if I am not feeling enough pain and loss. I have a very good emotional support person, who says I had anticipatory grief when my husband was ill. I also have very good family support and good friends.

I am trying to sort everything out myself - just had the living room (where my husband passed away) decorated and carpeted, to make it fresher etc. I still feel his presence in the house, in a good way as if he is guiding me on, but realise I can make decisions on my own and deal with most things he did. I've always been a practical person and think I can either sink or swim, I am just about staying afloat at the minute.

Just trying to get my feelings into perspective, sorry about the very long post!

Llamalover xx

• Hello, it does take time to accept the terrible truth. Took me many weeks, telling myself this is just a nightmare and I’ll wake up and my Linda will still be here. Still don’t want to believe it, but have accepted it.

The razzmatazz around Christmas certainly doesn’t help, when you’re grieving, Supermarkets with their Christmas songs on a loop are particularly difficult.

wrote Christmas cards out, which was tough, found out afterwards it’s acceptable not to send any cards on the first Christmas. Mainly did it for my Linda as she always pushed me to write the cards out, so felt it had to be done anyway.

Sweat Linda You are my best memory, You are all of my best memories

• Hi Kieth, I am doing combined Christmas and thank you cards with cards that I bought from the hospice that did so much for us.Mainly to the wonderful professionals that helped so lovingly with Gareth’s care as he became so difficult,not his fault.Cancer mets to the brain plus lots of medication sadly made him a very different person for the last few weeks which prevented him from staying at home.But the hospice was amazing so no regrets that he couldn’t stay at home,he was definitely in the best place and even stayed there for a week after he had died which was comforting.

• I so pleased Gareth had such good care, I know how very important this is.

keep safe and well

• Hi ArthurD,

Many thanks for your reply. I went through the nightmare when my husband was ill, it seemed like a never ending roller coaster of slightly up and mainly down days, when he was having treatment and the weeks that followed, with all sorts of unexpected side effects.

I have done all the Christmas stuff so far, written and posted cards, bought and wrapped presents etc. I get what you mean though about the Christmas music in shops, just jarrs with me. I also can't look at Husband and Wife cards, just walk past them and take a deep breath. I am not sure where I would be without my two daughters and two small grand children (wish Roy was here to see them grow up a bit more). They keep me going and help me to focus on some sort of future, that doesn't quite seem such a void without Roy. 

I wonder if it will all sink in after Christmas when I am not so busy. I hope to start some voluntary work (Covid allowing) in the New Year and hope that 2022 will be a better year for everyone in this situation.

Best wishes,

Lynne x

• Hi Lynne, I can relate to just about all you have written.My husband died five weeks ago so it is still very raw.My two sons,my two young grandchildren and my dog keep me going.I was doing voluntary work before lockdown and hope to get back to it sometime, I have also registered with our local Mind group and went on my first walk and talk yesterday.It was tough and out of my comfort zone but I am glad I made the effort.My son and I collected Gareth’s ashes today which is another step towards making it all real. I am concerned that I will really dip in the new year,it’s never a good time anyway.Just hope we don’t go into another lockdown as I will struggle if I can’t see my family.Love and hugs to you all.Wish we could all get together.

• I know how much Children can help, I see my youngest Son every other day, and he stayed with me a lot, when I had severe depression in 2003, was a year off work, without my 3 year old keeping me distracted and with all the love we felt for each other it kept me from going under, so yes I do realise.

keep safe and well

• Hi Alice45,

I think you are very brave to have already joined a local walking group and thinking of doing voluntary work. I had all intentions to do the same, but because of Covid and also family commitments, I haven't as yet.

We had some of Roy's ashes interred in October and the rest are being scattered in a place where he spent many happy hours, but that's not til spring time.

I am bothered about the new year, but will hopefully be doing some voluntary work myself and also have a couple of close family birthdays to celebrate. 

I too wish we could all get together. I never knew what this felt like until now, even though I have family and friends who have been through similar experiences. It is so hard to stay positive sometimes.

Love to everyone, especially at this time of year.....can't actually see it being anyone's best Christmas ever at the moment, even though the shops are trying to tell us it is!!

Take care everyone,

love

Llamalover xx