I Love You Because

• 10 replies
  • 31 subscribers

I never thought I would do this, but nothing ventured nothing gained as the old saying goes.

I am trying to think of the music to be played at my wife`s funeral, as a rule I have never had a problem with funeral songs,

if it was for someone else, the problem is you see we both loved listening to the old tunes on the radio or you-tube.

A favorite of Debbie`s was: Time in a bottle by Jim Croce, I guess this should be one of the three.

I am also torn between the following.

1] I can`t stop loving you by Ray Charles.

2] How do I live without you by Leanne Rimes.

3] You`re still the one by Shania Twain [ this could have been written by her for us ].

4] I love you because by Jim Reeves.

5] Bright Eyes by Art Garfunkel.

This is only a fraction of the songs we considered to be beautiful, my wife always said if I went first it would be easier to

arrange a concert than to select three songs.

Does anyone have any opinions on the above choices.

Thank you in advance.

Hugs.

John.

• Hi John,

All equally lovely songs. What I thought about was a song to walk into church or crematorium to,  then one in the middle that some slides were put to & finally what we left to. The beginning & end were easy but I chose Mr Brightside by The Killers in the middle as I wanted the whole service to be upbeat & positive. So I guess I’m saying it depends on how you are setting the tone of your service, perhaps the Shania Twain might be good?

whatever you choose will be right for you

Tracey xx

• All beautiful songs and so difficult to choose just 3. I love Time in a Bottle and agree with LTT on Shania Twain - the words say it all Heartbeat

At Colins tiny lockdown service we had What a Wonderful World as his coffin was lowered and Forever Love by Gary Barlow, so many to choose from especially as he made many mix-tapes in our early daysCouplekiss

You will get through the day believe me, hold your head up and be proud of your lovely wife.  Heart exclamation

Tomorrow is another day
  • Hi John, all lovely songs.  Like LTT I wanted one to walk into, one in the middle and one at the end, all being more upbeat as we went through the service.  I went for Someone You Loved by Lewis Capaldi, then a lovely cover version of Wind Beneath My Wings (Marc Andre Fortin) and then Flowers in the Window by Travis.  The words for each were and are very meaningful and I'm glad I went with those choices.  It was hard to do and  took me ages to decide, but got it right in the end.

Felicity

• Hi John, I am in the same situation planning my husbands funeral.He loved many different kinds of music and I didn’t always share his tastes.Gareth had lots of music downloaded on his iPhone which he listened to on his Sonos.I didn’t understand how this all worked but after he had passed away I was trying to access his Sonos because it would come on at 7am on radio 4 which he always listened to.The first piece of music that came on was A boat lies waiting by David Gilmore,this was so poignant when I listened to it,I think it was a sign as it is beautiful and has to be at his funeral,I keep listening to it to try to prepare myself a little.

• Hi John

sorry for the intrusion I didn’t realise this was a forum for spouses but anyway I see it as a sign.I recently lost my own mum 3 weeks this Thursday with a short illness with cancer.She was a fan of Jim Reeves song ‘I love you because’ I can even hear her singing to it now..random thought but thanks for mentioning that song as I can hear her singing the chorus! Thank you 

• Thank you for your reply.

I am confident you are welcome in our little forum if it helps you.

All the best.

John

• My nan lived that one too. Reminds me of our Sunday mornings when we all used to play our fav records. I am sure whatever any of you choose will be perfect. 

People were shocked when I choose Johnny cash, ring of fire but it was Ric's favourite! 

Love and hugs Alison xxx

• We had the same song at my dads funeral but it was more because it was a family joke. Also went to see him with my dad at Royal Albert Hall many years ago, amazing experience xx

• Hi John 

You've shortlisted some lovely songs.  I chose Jim Reeves for both my parent's funerals , I grew up listening to his music and hearing my dad sing to my mum.

For my husband's funeral, to enter I had the Royal Navy hymn playing (he had been a submariner) brass band. The other piece that I chose was by Beautiful South "One Last Love Song" .....                                   

Whichever music you decide upon, I hope the day goes smoothly as per your wishes. 
    Stay strong 
    Mym
  • Hello

I too think all those songs are lovely choices- I’d say just trust yourself to choose music that holds the most meaning for you and Debbie.

For Chris, I chose, with the help of our sons:

Rocking Goose- Chris loved that and it always made us smile how much he enjoyed hearing it

When will I see you again - this was the first dance we had when we first met back in 1974 

Alright (Supergrass) because it was another favourite of his. An ironic choice in hindsight as I still feel that nothing will ever be completely Alright again!

There could have been lots of other choices but together we chose these.

Like BootsyD, Chris’ service was a lockdown service in November last year. And whatever you choose will be right for you. I do hope all goes well

Sending hugs

Jane

x