Guilt & Grief !

• 2 replies
  • 26 subscribers

After the devastating loss of our wife, husband, partner does anyone continue to have flashbacks of the things we shouldn't have said?  The things we shouldn't have done? Do these seem to over power the many good times, which were 99.9 % of our loving relationship. And why should this be so?

• Hi  I'm so sorry for your loss and the tough time you are going through.

My father passed away from pancreatic cancer a several years ago and my view on things that were and were not said and done is as follows 

- if you don't believe in some form of life after death then I feel like what was or wasn't said doesn't matter because the person who has passed away is no longer aware or affected by it

- if you do believe that we continue to exist after death then I believe our loved ones know how we are feeling and if we are feeling guilt or remorse.  They know that we are only human and it's inevitable that at some point we would have said and done something we regret and wish we hadn't.

None of us are perfect and all of us do and say things which we regret so be kind to yourself and forgive yourself as I really do believe that the only person blaming you is yourself.

• Hi Godwilling. Thank you for your response.  I'm not religious but I am deeply spiritual and know for a fact there is an afterlife as you mentioned. And yes indeed, my Anne knows everything now she is in spirit. The signs I've had from her plus other clinical evidence available from reliable sources says to me I'm forgiven and understood now by her. Many of my mental processes are triggered by clinical depression and acute anxiety for which I take Citalopram yet despite the meds I all too often have short bouts of instability in my thought processes. Everything you mention in your kind reply makes complete sense to me. Thank you again. 

Geoff 

At the end of all our journeying will be to find ourselves back where we started knowing the place for the first time. TS ELIOT.