Just need to talk about it

• 6 replies
  • 26 subscribers

Hello everyone,

First of all, I would like to say that what I am going to write in this post may not strictly speaking have to do with the grief for my late husband. But I suppose I wouldn't be in the situation I am in today if Paul hadn't died in May of 2018. So I figure it is okay to write this. Also, many of you on here have been really good friends over the years - funny thing to say when we have actually never met but it is how I feel, there are a lot of lovely people on here and I have always felt so supported by them - and so it is also because of this that I think it is okay to write this here.

As you know, I returned to Ireland in August after 18 months of living with my parents in Germany during COVID. I was looking forward to coming back to Ireland and to settle back into my own life, even though I knew that I would miss my family a lot. I had no doubts that settling back in would be easy. But it has not been easy and I am really struggling at the moment. As a friend of mine said to me the other day, "COVID happened at the worst possible time for you because, when it first hit, you had just begun to learn to live on your own after Paul's death, then you were with your parents for 18 months, and now you are back here and of course you have to start all over again." And this is exactly what it is like. What I have realised about myself is that either I need to be extremely busy in work every single day of the week or I need to have a very busy social life - or best would be to have both - and I don't have that.

Work has been way way too quiet. I am seeing four, sometimes seven, clients during a whole week. The rest of my time I spend advertising, exploring ways to find more work, working with my PA to make my website and email list even better. It is not fulfilling.

I have five friends here in Ireland all of whom are wonderful but all of whom have their own lives of course and therefore we don't see each other very much. I think in order for me to feel well supported by my social life I would need between 15 and 20 friends all of whom are eager to meet up with me a lot.

I have been back in Ireland for three months. And I feel it has been a constant struggle: trying to get used to living on my own again, trying to make my business grow again, trying to not lose hope that I will settle in and that I will feel at home again. And I feel I have lost all strength now.

I am not quite sure whether being here is the right thing for me. Maybe I should decide to move back to Germany where I would be closer to my family.

But then I am thinking: Is that the solution? Because in Germany I would have to start all over again as well. I would have to live with my parents first I guess until I have decided where I want to live, I would have to find work or open my own practice there, I would have to find friends and social contacts in Germany. If I move to the town where I used to live, I would still be three hours away from my parents so if I spontaneously felt I wanted or needed to see them it would still not be easy to get there.

It would break my heart to leave Ireland. I love this country. I love its people. I love the mentality of the people. I love the climate. I love being surrounded by the sea. I love the English language and think and dream in English at this stage. I love my house. I love my friends and would really miss them. I love my practice room.

But I feel I cannot continue living like this - with work that's way too quiet and with way too much time spent on my own.

I have never liked being on my own for any length of time. I just don't like my own company very much. I can be on my own when I am in the house with others though. For example, when I lived with my parents during COVID, I often spent a couple of hours on my own in a different room - no problem with that - but I knew that the other people were there and could be reached out to at any time.

I am currently asking myself: Would it be wise for me to give it a little more time, to calm down about it all, and to be patient and see what happens with my business and with me emotionally over the next couple of months? Or is now perhaps the right time to say, "Okay, yes, I have come back, I have tried, I can't do it, it's not working, I am returning to Germany after eleven years in Ireland". I really don't know.

Since yesterday evening, I have been having a sore throat too. I am going to go to Boots in a minute to do another antigen test. Then this afternoon, if the test is neagitve of course, I am going to meet with my friend Margaret. I don't really feel strong enough to go into town but I do think it would do me good to meet a friend and reconnect.

You know what? When I am really, really honest, what I really feel like in my body and soul is to just go to my parents, lie on their couch, drink tea and let go of all effort - at least for a while. Just to be minded and not to have to make any effort.

Does that sound selfish?

Love to all of you

Mel.

• Hi Mel,

I'm not on here very often these days, but I remember you from when you first lost Paul. I lost my husband in November 2017, about 6 monthsGrinning earlier,I think?

Covid has certainly changed a lot of things. Like you, I was getting along with my life, got a new dog after having lost our old one, even took him away for a few days to the coast. Generally started picking up the threads. Then covid! 

I thought I would be ok on my own, but have been shocked at how much I actually need company. I was sole carer for my mum who lived next door, so that kept me busy, but then she died in March this year, so then I really was alone. Sadly my dog had developed lymphoma and I'd had to have him put to sleep a few months beforehand.

On the plus side, my daughter gave birth a few days after my mum died, to my first grandchild, who I now look after 3 days a week.

I think covid has halted what progress we were making, and generally speaking, everything seems less certain, so that has a knock on effect with how we feel about our lives. I certainly feel as though I have stalled, although coping with another bereavement has taken its toll.

I can't tell you what to do, but I often think that if I'm in a stew over something, I'm better off not doing anything for a while. It may be that you need to take stock a bit and accept how you feel for now. It won't be like this forever. Going back to Germany will still be a possibility in the future, won't it?

I hope your test was ok and you met up with Margaret. Maybe you do need to sit on the settee and drink tea ! Could you do that in your own place? Don't be too hard on yourself, and don't forget our resilience isn't great when we're unwell.

Hope you have a better week x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi MelanieL,

Just a thought why take on a part time job in Ireland this would provide a regular income run it alongside your business.  Being an employee would also release some of the pressure running the business and enable you to meet people and be less isolated.  Maybe also generate leads for the business.

You’ve been very good and helpful to so many of us here.  Hope you find a solution.

Peter x

• Hi Mel,

It's Sunday afternoon where I am and I was just thinking how much life has changed, how much my Sundays have changed. Before, once I'd prepared my classes for the week on Sunday mornings, Gilles and I used to go for drives by the sea or lake and then walk for an hour or two. Today, nothing happens on  Sunday, apart from preparation for my courses. With that thought in mind, I decided to come on to the forum to have a read. 

As you know, there are no easy answers. I can't even begin to give you advice but I can say that I understand how you feel. I don"t really have any friends here in French Guiana, just  work colleagues. Although it gets really lonely, I do prefer the climate here than the one in Europe and I am closer to my family who live in the Caribbean. I do have a few friends in France and it might be a little less lonely there but it's a choice I've made. Besides, as I may have said many times, I do not see myself living in France without Gilles.

But, friends or no friends, we are bound to find ourselves on our own much more now. We're also being called to re-evaluate our lives and what we want. The deaths of our spouses have left us with our individual challenges that are not easy to face. Sometimes I wonder if there's some trickster making us deal with the very thing we've tried all our lives to avoid. I'm tempted to suggest you stick it out a little longer in Ireland because, at least, you have friends there.

Yes, in the end, we do want someone to take care of us. My parents couldn't offer me much comfort after Gilles died because of their own issues. In fact, my father died 3 weeks ago, so little by little, the people I thought would always be in my life are disappearing.

Mel, you'll figure it out. And, by the way I hope your test has come back negative.

I'm sending you lots of love and I'm hoping that sooner or later you will find clarity concerning your situation.

• I guess we all inch forward. I don't find I miss Ric as such anymore. I have also finally grieved for Simon too. Simon's nephew died a few weeks ago and I was finally able to talk properly to his sister about him. That has helped a lot strangely.

I have a boyfriend but I am cautious. I love him in a different way but I would never remarry. I love his company and spending time with him but also realise my job and children come first. Not to make the same mistake in life again. I am probably scared of grief etc.

I think Peters idea of a part time job could be the answer. It may give you some stability and new friends.

Take care

Love and hugs Alison Xxx

• Hello guys,

Firstly, I would like to thank all of you who have taken the time to read my post, to think about it and to send beautiful and warm responses.

Secondly, I would like to say to those of you who were suggesting getting a parttime job, how much I would love that but how almost impossible it is due to my situation that I am almost totally blind; I think sighted people cannot imagine how full of prejudice this world is when it comes to disabilities, the remarks I have had to endure during job interviews such as "We wonder will she be able to find the bathroom on her own..." or even the direct question, "Will you be punctual for work every day?" are really a disgrace but that's the world we live in and it's perhaps partly the reason why I work as a holistic therapist (and hopefully soon as a death doula) because there I am being accepted for who I am and for what I have to offer. I think also with COVID-19 it would be even harder to find a different job right now.

However, I have calmed down a lot over this past week, little by little, every day a bit more. No, I don't have many friends here. And no, my job isn't as busy as I would like it to be. But I cannot make a decision about where I want to live right now. It is too complex to decide in only a few days or even months. And I suppose because I have been living here since 2010, this feels very much like home and I really need to give this life here one really good last shot before I decide to move to Germany - or not as the case may be.

Sometimes though I am thinking: What's the point though in living in a country which is not my home country, far away from my family, when the reason for my life here, my soul mate and best friend and husband, is no longer here? I mean, who lives far far away from their parents when they don't have to? I mean, I am a real family person also, so maybe I should go where my family is.

But for now I am giving this a very, very big push.

Lots of love, Mel

I don't like the term "moving on" because it sounds to me like we are leaving our loved ones and the life we had with them behind. I like the term "moving forward" as it implies that, while life goes on, our loved ones are still with us in our hearts and minds.