How do you tell toddlers

• 2 replies
  • 27 subscribers

My husband passed away last Saturday and I really have no idea how to explain this to our three grandchildren who are aged 1, 2 and 2 1/2. One of them has already asked to come and see grandad. I know the youngest will be fine but its older two I’m worried about. I don’t want to say he was poorly so he died as they would then be scared every time any one was ill, I had a a suggestion of saying he’s gone over the rainbow but their bedroom is decorated in rainbows so I thought that might freak them out, another was that he’s gone on an aeroplane in the sky but again they will then think that people on planes don’t come back. 
Does anyone have any experience or suggestions ? 

• hi when my mum died I told my daughter who was 5 then that her nanny had been poorly and had gone to be a star in the sky.  For a while she used to look up at the sky and there was always a bright one over our house and she used to say it was nanny looking down on her.

I guess your grand children are a little younger though and may not understand. 

so sorry to hear about your husband, we all understand how each other feels on this forum.

• So sorry to hear about your husband.Our local hospice,St.Davids,has someone who helps with this,it’s called the unicorn.My son has been having counselling from them for my two grandchildren who are nearly two and nearly four.Do you have anything similar you are in contact with.My grandchildren see my husband every week and have followed his deterioration for the last year so realise he is very poorly,I think that probably makes it a bit easier for them.