“How was your day?”

• 2 replies
  • 26 subscribers

How do I reply? I am so lucky to have some very kindly friends. Young and supportive. I have taken them sailing. But always there is just me at home. And I spend my days trying to keep busy to blot out his absence. 

And today I just don’t know how to answer that question that is posed by one of them so kindly. How can I say that it is all an attempt to ignore the elephant in the room - my missing husband. And knowing that won’t change, and tomorrow will be the same battle. In a pandemic.

Viv

• It is difficult. I find it hard to know what people expect as a reply. It's a bit like "how are you?" "I'm alright" sounds easier than "ok how long do you have?".

That sailing boat seems to keep you busy that's a great thing to have! Slight smile busy days don't fill all the space left by the missing one, but they do help I find.

Take care xx

• My reply to people in my earlier days (now almost 18 months later)was "well actually I'm not alright but I will be, thank you"  then I would try and turn the conversation round to be about them instead Neutral face most people love talking about themselves. It doesn't always work but is definitely worth a shot Kissing heart

xx

Tomorrow is another day