A grief observed, by C.S. Lewis

• 3 replies
  • 26 subscribers

I have just finished reading A Grief Observed, by CS Lewis and I loved it. He wrote this essay (under a pseudonym) after losing his wife and it's a short brilliant reading.

He basically goes through all the grief process with a very calm approach, questioning his grief and emotions, as well as his faith (a lot, I didn't really saw myself in this but some might).

Because I'm 13 months into my grief the first pages reminded me of the raw first weeks/months while I feel i'm closer to the kind of peaceful conclusion of the book but I'd love to hear if some of you have read it and what they made of it.

I wasn't sure at first because what's the point of reading a book about emotions you're going through yourself, etc. But it's really good and I really loved the fact that he wrote it as a personal diary, not for an audience, and getting deep into questioning his state of mind and his love.

Xx

• Thank you for the recommendation. I shall order that up on my Kindle right now.

Martha x

"i carry your heart with me (i carry it in my heart) ..."
    Life must end, but love is eternal.

• Hi Devin,

I have to say I didn't like it at all but I am glad that it was the right thing for you.

Lots of love Mel X

I don't like the term "moving on" because it sounds to me like we are leaving our loved ones and the life we had with them behind. I like the term "moving forward" as it implies that, while life goes on, our loved ones are still with us in our hearts and minds. 

• That's interesting! :) Sorry you didn't enjoy it. It is a peculiar book.

I quite love his tone, not dramatic at all and more trying to analyse what's happening and his emotions rather than dwell in the pain (well maybe there is a bit of that too)