Appetite Change

• 12 replies
  • 35 subscribers

SINCE LOSING MY WIFE of 50yrs  to cancer I no longer have any appetite. Its been two years. I eat only because of hunger but never enjoy. Anne cooked all our meals.

Maybe a porridge breakfast. Nothing else for the day. Maybe no breakfast but soup and bread at lunch time. At best, a breakfast and a meal at night. Today porridge for breakfast. Chicken soup at lunch. Nothing more. Mostly ready meals for a main. I occasionally cook if I feel in the mood. 

I've lost 2stone with little exercise.  I like my continuing weight loss.  But I prefer beer - which has kept some weight on - because it satisfies a need that food can't.

Geoff 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Geoff,  

Like your Anne my wife cooked all the meals, what I miss is the evening chats we had at our dining table laughing about this and that.   Nothing important talking about the day, trivia and gossip I really miss that.   Now about my eating habits which are best described as poor.  Toast for lunch most days, and lately corn flakes for tea, the truth is I can’t be bothered.   Surprisingly, I feel well on my minimalist diet which is almost totally plant based.   
    For several months I cooked for Lynn trying to keep her weight up, since she lost so much due to her cancer

Take care.

Peter

• Hi Peter,

What it's shown me is how surpringly little a person does need to eat in order to survive and how in the past I have over eaten because of biscuits, cakes and other mid meal fillers. I'm basically following nature and only eating at times when I'm hungry. Although I mention breakfast lunch and dinner these are only labels and not set times.

Geoff.

At the end of all our journeying will be to find ourselves back where we started knowing the place for the first time. TS ELIOT.

• Hello there Geoff, I can relate to you entirely. I’ve always been a feeder. Cooking for family & friends. I feel it’s survivors guilt. My husband struggled with eating, for 12 months before he died. It literally is soul destroyiing .                         I decided early on that I would have one day a week where I treated myself to a meal out. Dining alone took some courage.             Then after 3 months lockdown began. I found myself surviving on very little wholesome food, just junk snacks to satisfy my meagre appetite.     I now have just returned to my one meal out. I go late afternoon, when the pub is quiet I must say I really enjoy having food cooked for me and relish every mouthful although I never can quite eat the lot. I’ve also taken to buying yoghurts bananas etc, Not a meal I know but  again telling myself I’m taking good care of me. I’ve not lost any weight, I could do with shedding a few stone, but I really really enjoy my evening tipples. My family have no idea of my eating disorder it’s private to me & whoever else reads this. Be kind to yourself Geoff and go treat yourself. 

• Sorry Peter , I read Geoffs post last. apologies it’s meant for you.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Esthersmith

Dear Esthersmith,

if my friends and family knew about my lousy diet they would be worried, but thankfully they don’t know but I can discuss things here with people who understand.

I can see you enjoy the weekly meal out, that’s a good idea might do that myself since a proper meal would do me good.

Peter x

• Hey Jebel, it’s so nice to be free and open here and discover we’re not alone isn’t it. I put on the brave face everyday to show how strong I am.Folk naturally assume  I’m coping well.  When in reality I feel like I’m in self punishment mode. X

• Hi Geoff

i only lost my husband back in April and totally lost my appetite.  He didn’t want to eat in his last few days and it was a struggle.  Now I just don’t fancy eating anything even when I’m really hungry and not even my go to favourite things help.  Like Peters comment I can’t be bothered but I know I have to look after myself after surviving my own cancer battle.  I’m hoping things will settle in time. All the best to you x

• Hi Rach15104,

I just know it won't settle my friend.

I gave my heart and soul - my everything to Anne. At 75yrs it's just too late to start again with anything -  not that I even want to. I'm burnt out with life. My Anne was my life and when she passed I passed over with her. My goodness if only euthanasia was legal in this country I'd sign up. But obscenely our politicians take the moral highground and think they have the right to legislate to  others what they can or can not do with THEIR LIVES! 

Switzerland. Belgium and certain States in the USA thnk differently 

Take care,

Geoff

At the end of all our journeying will be to find ourselves back where we started knowing the place for the first time. TS ELIOT.

• Bless you Geoff - my heart goes out to you.  I’m only 50 and have so much more to give.  My husband made me promise to carry on and I will.  I hope you find the peace you deserve xx

• It's been nearly three years since my husband died, and my appetite has never come back. For me, the hardest part is eating alone. I used to love to cook and I certainly enjoyed my food, but, even when I was young, meals were as much about the conversation as the food. Without conversation, it holds no charms for me...

Martha

"i carry your heart with me (i carry it in my heart) ..."
    Life must end, but love is eternal.