PALS & Complaints

• 20 replies
  • 29 subscribers

Well, today, 10 month after my husband died I have finally received a reply to my comprehensive letter of complaint to the hospital...

My complaint was clear, accurate with details, dates, names, wards etc.

I have received a 26 page response which, as I expected  is full of waffle. Not surprisingly they can manage to recall in great detail certain 'facts' yet have no memory at all of other things I mention.   Selective memory to suit where they try to blame a sick man for getting mistaken as to what they said. Or a half hearted hint of an apology in some circumstances when they couldn't think of an adequate excuse.

What they fail to grasp is, I was also at the appointments or the phone was on loud speaker for telephone consultations... and I made notes with dates, staff names and what advice/instructions they were giving. I still have my entire book of notes and photos documenting every step of Mark's journey. I initially started the notebook to keep up with the many appointments, treatment advice, results etc.

Am I ready to give up... Not yet!

Just days before he passed away my husband asked me to complain on his behalf about the utterly appalling care he had received, he felt so hurt and let down by a system that failed and neglected  him.

I know it won't bring him back.... But he still has a right to be taken seriously.

• It's so wrong when treatment becomes a postcode lottery.

I'm pleased for you that you managed to buy some extra time..  never long enough, but more than the original hospital were offering.

Mym x

• Maybe if we had challenged Colins last chemotherapy (doxorubicin then trebectedin) treatment we might have had more chance/time for a better result than f@@@ all!!!

Sorry folks, having a moment No mouth

Tomorrow is another day
  • I lost my husband to Oesophageal Cancer in 2018. He was taken into hospital 4 weeks before he died with what they thought was an infection. For the 2 weeks he was there he was put in a ward which I believe was just for overnight stays after minor surgery so his care left a lot to be desired. He was left cold, without his food supplements which meant he lost an awful lot of weight, and developed horrendous bed sores which no one found until I reported them. I also went downstairs to speak to PALs whilst he was still an inpatient to hi-light my concerns. I was fobbed off and asked to put it in an email. Events overtook me and I brought him home to die two weeks later. PALS don’t want to hear about your complaints, they are just there for show I feel. This treatment during those two weeks left my husband, weak and demoralised. As you say you will not be able to bring your husband back but perhaps it will help the patient and families of others who follow. 

• Devonia, may I connect to you as a friend? My husband had oesophageal ca. too. There is a reason I wanted to chat to you. 

Viv

• Tivvy, my husband Gary died of oesophageal cancer too in December 2020. He was 51. If I can help in any way please get in touch. I’ve sent a friend request  

Peigi xx Blush

• Hi Tivvy, just wanted to clarify my husband was first diagnosed in 2017, had 3 cycles of chemotherapy, surgery, radiotherapy before the end. If you still wish to speak please let me know. x

• Quick update...

I have responded to the Satement of Response from the hospital and along with evidence where possible I have underlined the inadequacies of the hospital's response.  I have pointed out that statements such as 'we don't recall'  or 'there is no record of x,y,z' is not an answer as the matters in question should have been documented at the time. 

Telling me they don't know which doctor or nurse was involved when I have given ward name, time, date is a cop out.

Or trying to blame a sick man for being confused... 

So many other instances of inadequate care regarding his medical treatment that are too complicated to go into on here.

I have now forwarded all paperwork to the Ombudsman...

I will wait and see if they agree with the complaints of a now deceased man whose final month's were made worse by (some, not all) of  the people that should have cared.

• Good on you girl! Let us know how you get on. It won’t bring your husband back but it might just change the way some hospitals and health trusts care for terminally ill patients. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Pooka

So concerned about Lynn’s cancer care, well not care exactly more like neglect I hired a Professor of Oncology at the Marsden employing him to dig through Lynn’s medical file.   I wasn’t happy Lynn’s original consultant only followed up my wife post surgery/chemo for 3 year’s?   The cancer returned with a vengeance at 5 years now terminal.   Now I’m a widower.  
    Pooka, I hope you find justice on your journey and the hospital in question does the right thing.

Peter

• Thank you Peter,

Being members of this group I  know that we all appreciate the cruelness of cancer.  But what many of us struggle with is the knowledge that our loved ones treatment could  have and should have been better in many cases. 

We don't expect miracles just honesty and a level of care that is equal nationwide regardless of being an NHS or a Private patient. 

Suffering from cancer is unspeakably  awful...but when the suffering is unnecessary due to a failure of hospital care it becomes cruel.

I feel that we who are left behind need to voice medical failings to help the cancer patients of tomorrow ♡